Respiratory disease???

The chicken lady30

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2022
My hen for the past 4 days has been going abit downhill.
Rest of the flock are fine, but this one has been abit lathargic and her comb has been getting darker (purple)

Her only sympton is head shaking from time to time, she wants to eat and has been drinking but today shes just pecking her food, not really interested in it.

No idea what this is....also shes not laying.

How is your hen today?
Hi! Thankyou for asking! Shes still alive ...ive treated her for mites as found a nest of eggs on her ....also feel a big egg which i reckon is stuck so i tidied and cleaned the vent area, put olive oil on the vent and shes currently resting on a hot water bottle...no idea what is wrong bless her but she looks depressed.

Hi! Thankyou for asking! Shes still alive ...ive treated her for mites as found a nest of eggs on her ....also feel a big egg which i reckon is stuck so i tidied and cleaned the vent area, put olive oil on the vent and shes currently resting on a hot water bottle...no idea what is wrong bless her but she looks depressed.
I will tag some medical experts
@Eggcessive @azygous @Wyorp Rock can any of y'all help with her hen?

If you believe she has a stuck egg, it would help to give her a calcium tablet. This encourages contractions to push the egg out.

However, it's possible it;s not an egg, but a tumor, and there are other tumors on organs causing organ failure.

Usually, with egg binding, there's an additional symptom of watery, acrid smelling discharge from the vent. If she has that going on, it strengthens the case for a stuck egg. Calcium will help. Pop one into her beak.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

How old is she? Does she normally lay eggs? If she has eggs or bugs on her skin, she needs to be treated with permethrin garden dust or the horse spray. Is that what you have used? Permethrin 10 concentrate can also be mixed in water in a spray bottle. Don’t spray her if it is cold. The spray is best for treating roosts, coop and nests. The dust may be best for cold weather. Lice should be treated at 10 day intervals, and mites every 7 days until gone. Bedding needs to be removed and replaced after spraying the coop.

Does she have any mucus inside her beak, nasal drainage, or bubbles in either eye? Or do you think the head shaking is caused by lice or mites? Hens can suffer from reproductive disorders, cancer, ascites (water belly,) and crop problems, which can make them feel poorly. I usually offer some scrambled egg and a little wet chicken feed often.

Back
Top Bottom