Songster
11 Years
Apr 25, 2008
NC
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
black sex link 2-3 yrs

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
raspy breathing, see more info below

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
3 weeks

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
not sure

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
yes, healthy appetite and drinking

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
normal

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
tylan 50 injectable .5 cc in breast and 1 cc under skin for 14 days

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
would like to do alone

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
free roaming, insulated coop at night with hay bedding changed as needed

I brought a hen in about 3 weeks ago. It was cold and snowy and i noticed that she was wheezing. I did not see worms, but wormed her anyway. We also did not see any mucus from nose, eyes or mouth. She was not oxygenating well as her comb and waddles were turning purple. We put her on oxygen for awhile and she improved. The next day we noticed some wetness near her nose and began tylan 50 injections. We did that for 2 weeks, there is no mucus that we can see, she is alert and active and getting restless. We kept her inside for a week with no injections and she is still raspy when she breathes. She has even been laying eggs for the past week and half. She is always ready to eat and drink and wants out of the cage. I am hesitant since she is still raspy, but have no clue why.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great

Last edited:
I checked down her throat this evening and saw things that reminded me of corn stuck to her throat. Then the thought crossed my mind . . . we are not feeding her corn?!

I checked down her throat this evening and saw things that reminded me of corn stuck to her throat. Then the thought crossed my mind . . . we are not feeding her corn?!

Try searching for "gape worm", I know there are a lot of threads about it on this forum. I don't know too much about it myself, but with the tylan not working and the obstruction in her throat, it might be worth looking into.

If I remember right "wet pox" will leave lesions in the mouth, but you probably would have seen more symptoms by now.

Good luck with her!​

Back
Top Bottom