Respiratory illness

Kariann

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
Tennessee
Hello, fellow chicken people!

I have a group of chickens (from 3 months old to 5 months old) that are currently living inside my house. The only heat in the room is one heat lamp, which most of them don't seem to care about at all. The reasons they're inside are that I have been long battling a respiratory illness with them, and I was afraid to put them outside for 2 reasons, 1) the cold temperatures 2) didn't want them to meet the main flock and make them sick.
Now, it's time for all but a couple to go on out, but there are many hurtles that make it difficult. 1) I'm not sure yet that they should mingle with the main flock. That's okay, I have a separate small coop with attached run that they can kick it in.
2) I haven't been able to acclimate them to outdoor temps, while I was trying to fight the illness.

What is the best method to start getting them acclimated with the end goal being that they are either in their own little coop or in the main coop with the others (about 9 months old)?
And what can I give them (or ALL chickens) to help keep the respiratory illness away?
Points to note: 1)I have been using distilled water with the powder out of a human prescription of doxycycline, giving my best guesses at how much to give each one based on sizeable age. I am also using vetRx and keeping the bedding super clean.
2) one of my 9 month old hens has just started to sound congested and shows signs of gasping for air (so far, her energy, eating, and pooping look good).

In closing. I have recently been hit with multiple diagnoses of chronic illnesses, and become unable to work. I'm on a zero budget. I cannot afford a vet. I have a lot of things to offer as trade, if someone has appropriate meds or whatever. I'm just stuck with inexperience and lack of money (I have to do a lot of shucking and jiving to keep the house and electricity), and suddenly they all wanna be sick. Please help. Tell me what to do. I need to get them all healthy and outside. I don't want to have to get rid of them. They love lap time. And chicken therapy is a real thing. We love them so much!

Many respiratory diseases are chronic and last for life, making them carriers. Doxycyline can treat mycoplasma (MG,) but symptoms may come back later during periods of stress. What symptoms have you seen?

Many respiratory diseases are chronic and last for life, making them carriers. Doxycyline can treat mycoplasma (MG,) but symptoms may come back later during periods of stress. What symptoms have you seen?
Symptoms are sounding congested, stuffy nostrils, sneezing, and being less active.

Theres no cure so if your wearing the same stuff from the sick birds and going to your flock odds are you already transfered it to them. I personally would cull all the sick ones as treating them is not worth it. As stress brings it right back out and if there not showing symptoms now mixing them with other birds will bring it out

Theres no cure so if your wearing the same stuff from the sick birds and going to your flock odds are you already transfered it to them. I personally would cull all the sick ones as treating them is not worth it. As stress brings it right back out and if there not showing symptoms now mixing them with other birds will bring it out
:( is there any way that I can be sure this is what it is before I consider culling? Could it be anything else?

:( is there any way that I can be sure this is what it is before I consider culling? Could it be anything else?
Most people close their flocks when dealing with a respiratory disease.Testing is sometimes available through your vet, state vet lab, and there are a few national labs such as Zoologix, that sends you swabs to collect from a sick bird, and send back in for results. Your state vet may be the least cost, and this list of state vets gives contact info:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Here is contact for Zoologix for home pcr testing of 8 different respiratory diseases:
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

Most people close their flocks when dealing with a respiratory disease.Testing is sometimes available through your vet, state vet lab, and there are a few national labs such as Zoologix, that sends you swabs to collect from a sick bird, and send back in for results. Your state vet may be the least cost, and this list of state vets gives contact info:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Here is contact for Zoologix for home pcr testing of 8 different respiratory diseases:
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm
I just got home from a long day, and will be able to make phone calls tomorrow. Thank you SO much for the links! I sure hope I don't have to cull any of my little ones, they're all so perfect (except for the boogers, lol) and a silkie roo just started practicing his crow. And I hope I haven't carried something that can't be cured to my original flock. I'm so scared right now. I can't wait for tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom