Respiratory infection

Noelspiker

In the Brooder
May 28, 2023
I have another thread on here buy I'm gonna make a new one for this specific problem. So I have a baby chick who's 6 days old. It got its eyes pecked at around 3 days ago and wasn't eating or drinking. I took it in yesterday and have been syringe feeding food and water. I've noticed after watering it seems to struggle to swallow. It seems to almost gasp but I can't tell if it's gasping or trying to swallow. It also starts sneezing. Bubbles also come out from his beak. If you put his head down when the bubbles are coming out a clear mucus falls out of his mouth. Does this sound like a respiratory infection? If so how do I help him?

He keeps slowly going to sleep and breathing super light and I get scared he's dead so I wake him up and he gasps then slowly goes back down. Is he dying???

Might be some problems dyring hatching. Chickens especially young chicks are incredibly fragile. I think It's just a respiratory problem or something that can't be fixed. I'd suggest giving him nutrients and vitamin supplements and give him some egg yolk. If that dosen't work then just give him corid water or electrolyte water. Monitor his poops and see if he's eating and drinking, if not then force feed him and sure he isn't low on fluids. Otherwise there isn't much to do. You might just have to cull him. Issues like these are very common in newborn chicks. Wishint you the best :)

Back
Top Bottom