Thanks for the videos. My suggestion would be to just keep an eye on her for now. Based off on how rapidly she's improving their very well may have been something stuck in her throat that she's trying to expel. You can send some samples in, but the more I look at the videos the more I lean towards it being an object/powder stuck in her trachea. Especially with mild respiratory diseases, it can be hard to differentiate the two.
Okay so today I tried some vetrx and she is like brand new lol she sounds so great and just a very little bit of raspy-ness. I tried oil to wash down whatever may be stuck and that didn’t help and her crop was empty due to not eating. After the vetrx she was eating again and cooing! So I’m thinking it must be respiratory infection. We picked up oxytetracycline and vetrx.. what is the recommended timeline for vetrx and oxytetracycline? I’m assuming it can only be IM right? Or could I put it on some bread and feed it that way? And what would the dose be for the antibiotic?

Okay so today I tried some vetrx and she is like brand new lol she sounds so great and just a very little bit of raspy-ness. I tried oil to wash down whatever may be stuck and that didn’t help and her crop was empty due to not eating. After the vetrx she was eating again and cooing! So I’m thinking it must be respiratory infection. We picked up oxytetracycline and vetrx.. what is the recommended timeline for vetrx and oxytetracycline? I’m assuming it can only be IM right? Or could I put it on some bread and feed it that way? And what would the dose be for the antibiotic?

It's best not to give birds any type of oil orally as they can easily aspirate on it, and get lipoid pneumonia which tends to be fatal. VetRx is ok, but use it in moderation.

Could you post pictures of the Oxytetracycline you have?

It's best not to give birds any type of oil orally as they can easily aspirate on it, and get lipoid pneumonia which tends to be fatal. VetRx is ok, but use it in moderation.

Could you post pictures of the Oxytetracycline you have?
Okay good to know thank you! We will definitely use in moderation. Do you agree that the good result is due to it being a respiratory infection? Or it is just due to the vetrx and the nature of what it does?
Attached is the photo of oxytetracycline I got today.

Attachments

• 884B003E-AFF7-4BA6-A73B-4BB545B132C6.png
    884B003E-AFF7-4BA6-A73B-4BB545B132C6.png
    784.8 KB · Views: 2
Okay good to know thank you! We will definitely use in moderation. Do you agree that the good result is due to it being a respiratory infection? Or it is just due to the vetrx and the nature of what it does?
Attached is the photo of oxytetracycline I got today.

As I mentioned earlier, sometimes it can be hard to differentiate the symptoms, so without testing done, it's hard to tell if her symptoms are merely due to something stuck in her throat, a crop problem, or actually a respiratory disease. If you want to try treating her with the Oxy, that is up to you.

I have no experience with Duramycin, but, looking at the ingredients, it looks like it's just an oxytetracycline-based antibiotic that contains 200mg per ml. The antibiotic LA 200 is often used in poultry, and just the same as Duramycin, is an Oxytetracycline based antibiotic with 200mg of oxy per ML. The dose for LA 200 is in poultry is 25-40 mg/kg once a day. Which would equate to around 0.06ml to 0.09ml per pound of weight a day. Oxytetraclicine-based antibiotics can cause muscle site necrosis so I would give it orally instead.

@Eggcessive has knowledge pertaining to respiratory diseases in poultry so I will tag her, and see if she has any input, or suggestions.

LA 200 is an injectable form of oxytetracycline, and is a long acting medicine for cattle given by injection every 3 days. I cannot tell you the correct dosage for a chicken. I would recommend getting tylosin for pigeons, and putting that in her water 1 tsp per gallon for 5 days. Or see a vet for an antibiotic. Doxycycline is another one that is frequently used.

Your chicken could just have a respiratory virus, which does not respond to antibiotics. If sneezing is the main symptom, that could be the problem. Aspergillosis from mold or wet conditions, could cause silent gasping, and that too does not respond to antibiotics. If you see bubbles or foam in an eye, swelling of the face, crackles or wheezes, then MG might be a problem. Here is a list of common diseases and symptoms:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

LA 200 is an injectable form of oxytetracycline, and is a long acting medicine for cattle given by injection every 3 days. I cannot tell you the correct dosage for a chicken. I would recommend getting tylosin for pigeons, and putting that in her water 1 tsp per gallon for 5 days. Or see a vet for an antibiotic. Doxycycline is another one that is frequently used.

Your chicken could just have a respiratory virus, which does not respond to antibiotics. If sneezing is the main symptom, that could be the problem. Aspergillosis from mold or wet conditions, could cause silent gasping, and that too does not respond to antibiotics. If you see bubbles or foam in an eye, swelling of the face, crackles or wheezes, then MG might be a problem. Here is a list of common diseases and symptoms:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Thank you! I would say her main symptoms would be that whistling breath and an occasional sneeze. I'll look into getting some tylosin.

It can be hard to tell a mild strain of MG from infectious bronchitis. IB lasts about a month and doesn’t come back, but if it comes and goes, then MG might be more likely. Testing is available, and easier to get in certain states than others from the state poultry labs. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Here is a link for a lab that will send you swabs to collect of the tracheal secretions in the throat, and then you can mail them back for a diagnosis:
http://www.zoologix.com/avian/terms.htm

Their respiratory panel list of diseases is printed here:
http://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

Back
Top Bottom