Respiratory or Circulation Problems?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RCCheshire, Jan 4, 2017.

1. RCCheshire

RCCheshire Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2016
    Southeast Missouri
    I have a black copper maran rooster named Fred. According to the person we acquired Fred from, he is around a year and a half old. Since Saturday, Fred hasn't been acting normal. He is usually extremely friendly and runs to me whenever I come out with treats. Saturday, he did not. He pecked around at the ground, but he never came over for any food from me.

Monday morning I noticed he did not come out of the hen house when I opened their door. I had to open the big door and coax him out and I noticed his face and comb were a lot darker than normal - almost turning purple. Monday night, he did not get on the roost pole. He slept in the corner of the henhouse on the ground. Which some of our hens do - but usually he has his specific spot on the roost pole.

Last night, he did not roost on the pole either. This morning, I opened the door and noticed I didn't see him moving around. I opened the door and he was just sitting there. His face and comb are definitely purple now. When he tries to walk, he stumbles and gives up. He tried to crow and no real noise came out. It's heartbreaking.

I told my husband to go home and see what he thought. He said he would look at him and see if he thought we should cull him or bring him in and give him a chance. I assumed he would immediately cull him after seeing how pitiful he is. Well, he didn't (thankfully - but I hate seeing him suffer). He brought him inside and got him some chick feed and some water with electrolytes.

My question is - are there chickens that have these symptoms that ever pull out of this? Everything I've read and researched basically has me convinced that he is going to die. As far as a rooster goes, he's not the best. He doesn't fertilize eggs, he really doesn't protect the hens very well and he gets a little cocky. But he's an awesome chicken and very friendly to me and my daughter.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm expecting the worst but cautiously hoping he comes out of this. Thanks in advance!

2. Tillicans

Tillicans Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm curious have you wormed him recently? I'd take him to n avian vet. Otherwise he will die. I'm fairly new to chickens , 2 years and have lost 3 chickens, the last on to a neurological virus. It's behaviour really stumped me, so to be sure of the symptoms I'd go to the vet.

3. RCCheshire

Oct 15, 2016
    Southeast Missouri
    He has not been wormed lately. And we don't have a vet locally that will help chickens to my knowledge. :(

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

What do you feed? Roosters have needs differently than hens........

Cheers!

5. RCCheshire

Oct 15, 2016
    Southeast Missouri
    They free range throughout the day. We have had him since March without an issues. They have constant access to pellets and they also receive cracked corn a couple times a week.

6. chickens really

7. RCCheshire

Oct 15, 2016
    Southeast Missouri
    Okay! Thank you very much for the information! I will definitely mix from now on. Would too much calcium cause these problems?

8. chickens really

9. Tillicans

Tillicans Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I'd worm him for a start, and check for lice too. Good advice about mixing his food up. Perhaps you could ask a produce person they are very well acquainted with remedies for chickens/roosters

10. RCCheshire

Oct 15, 2016
    Southeast Missouri
    I check for mites and lice frequently. I also pay close attention to their stool while I'm out there and when I clean the coop bc I am paranoid about all of those things. But I will worm them all as a precaution.

Also, I have oyster shells separately from the food for the molting hens and the molts are almost over. I doubt he would have eaten that but it is there.

My husband just got home so I'm going to call for an update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by