Respiratory problem in 5 week old chick

CESOrtega

Songster
10 Years
Aug 28, 2009
We got three new chicks on Saturday, five weeks old. The smallest, a Spalsh Cochin, sounds like she might have some respiratory issues going on. She has been sneezing occasionally but this evening I noticed it sounds like she is wheezing.

She seems fine, doesn't act sick, is plenty active and extremely vocal. She is pooping.

We have her in wood shavings.

Should I be concerned about this? I know how quickly babies can decline and if we lost this one my daughter would be devastated. I don't think they have had any vaccines. We got them from a breeder who has lots of chickens. Should I get some kind of vaccine for them anyway for general protection? We are keeping the babies separate from our grown hen.

Thanks for your help.

Are these shavings pine? Cedar is toxic to chicks. If they are pine, then honestly, I'd cull it. Did you quarantine them from other chicks? If you did, that is what quarantine is for, so you do not introduce a cycle of disease into your flock. I would never treat that or you may find it's a mistake. This is why I (and others) never buy birds from anyone, ever. Several respiratory diseases make the bird a carrier for life, even if it seems to recover. They are like herpes viruses, many of them.

Back
Top Bottom