respiratory problem, no discharge. what are my possibilities?

Momo didn't gurgle. no one else got sick. When I got results back they did have information on the bacteria and which antibiotics were useful and which it wouldn't respond to. ... in this case tetracycline would have been effective against the bacteria.

BUT, there was major problem with heart tissue being stiffened and other problems throughout the body. In the case of MoMo it turned out the respiratory problem wasn't the main issue. AND she was not a pullet, but a rooster. with 'undeveloped testes' ...never developed breed characteristic coloring, never crowed.

none of the other birds had a problem. I did put them in my small bathroom with oxine in a vaporiser for an hour or so each day for 3 or 4 days, which didn't seem to hurt... but I think the only reason they were sneezing was dust from feed and bedding....the rooster does still shake his head a little, but it seems to be a thing with his wattles, or when he hears noises. One more rooster (same breed as MoMo) died later, from liver problems (possible Mareck's, but unconfirmed despite lab work done). all the birds I had of that breed died from different problems, so i'm hoping it was genetic issues rather than actual illness.

Did your vet test swabs from the birds for bacteria type? That would let him (and you) know what antibiotics are more or less effective. But of course it costs! :/ anything injectible is a better bet for exact dosing to be sure you're going to kick the disease instead of just making it stronger by attacking it and not killing it. Tetracycline is pretty broad-spectrum, and as long as they're drinking the water can work well. But if they don't like the taste and don't drink as much....or love the taste and drink a lot... well, it's a little harder to dose.

Good luck with your birds! it's so hard when they're sick and they can't tell us how they feel!!! :(

Thank you! Very interesting results. I should have known so many tests can be ran and that there are so many bird illnesses! Gee!

The birds are much better, and doing a few more days on the vets extended antibiotics to be sure, but much better!

Intend to watch humidity levels in coop from now on!

Changes in weather have been radical!

So glad they're doing better! it's awful when they're sick. So hard to know what to do and they are so good at hiding it until it's pretty advanced!

good luck with them!

Back
Top Bottom