Respiratory problem!? "Picture of Beatrice added"

Well I don't think she is really liking her quarantine! She had quite a lot to say when I went home at lunch to check on her!! Bawk, bawk, cough, cough. She sounds very conjested and is still coughing but she acts real good. She ate a whole entire hard boiled egg. I thought that would be good for her. Still no symptoms with the other girls. They had a lot to say too "Where's Bea?... Where's Bea?" I feel like a mean Mommie!!

Edited to add picture of Bea in hospital...

IMG_1277.jpg

Last edited:
Bea update and new dilema:
Well, she's been inside our our house for 2 days now and she's hating every second of it. She won't drink any water. I think that's because she doesn't like the smell or taste of it with all the medicine and supplements added. I tried to force her to drink, but she threw a healthy fuss!! She's a big, strong girl!! I'm trying to keep her stress level to a minimum, so I tricked her into sticking her beak in to the water by putting a treat in it, but she really shook her head at that. There is nothing wrong with her appetite. She gobbles up all the special treats I give her. She's had spinach, hard boiled egg, cheese and apples, plus her normal feed. She hasn't laid an egg in 2 days and I don't think she's really slept either. She just stands there looking through the pen at us unless I'm engaging her. Her waste also looks normal. I spoke with our vet and he suggested that she could have a nasal/sinus tumor because of the symptoms I described or something else of physiological nature as she has no nasal discharge, no lethargy, no gaping which would be signs of respiratory disease. I almost wonder if it could be congestive heart failure or something along those lines (she sort of sounds like she's drowning when she coughs - poor girl). So I'm starting to doubt this is something communicable as no other hen in our flock is displaying any sympoms and in fact seem healthier than ever. By the way, they don't like the water either. So now I'm faced with them becoming dehydrated too. So I'm thinking of putting everything back to the way it was, and that means putting Bea back out in the coop. She's not getting any better inside the house anyway!! She might as well enjoy whatever time she has left.

Thoughts anyone?

How about having the vet take a look at her? Maybe he can see something or hear something right away. How is she?

Unfortunately this vet doesn't see chickens any more. He USED to be a farm vet, but now he only sees dogs and cats, etc. He's semi-retired and works out of his home. He was kind enough to offer some advice over the phone, but I wasn't going to press my luck - if you know what I mean? Plus, my husband is home recovering from knee surgery right now and our funds are so limited that we just cannot afford to take her to a vet right now anyway - isn't that terrible?

Bea is doing quite well, but I was at the end of my rope this morning when she still had not drank any water!! So I put her back in the coop. She was so happy!! She fit right in with everyone, they were glad to see her too!! She drank!! She had herself a nice dust bath in the bedding. Still no symptoms with my other chickens, and believe me I spend A LOT of time with them. I also reduced the amount of electrolyte/vitamin mixture in their water and now everyone is drinking again. Her appetite is good, her weight has not dropped, she is not droopy. She's still coughing though
sad.png

She felt good enough to put our rooster in his place
ep.gif
. He's a banty and he got up in her face and she knocked him down a peg or two!!
lau.gif

So we'll see - time will tell I guess. I've done a lot of research on the web and I feel that it's not IB or Coryza. It could be CRD, which has a very low mortality rate and usually manifests itself during times of stress. From what I read, and I may be mistaken, CRD is not caused by virus or bacteria. So TLC would be the best treatment and she is getting plenty of that, so are the rest of my flock.

Last edited:
She won't drink any water. I think that's because she doesn't like the smell or taste of it with all the medicine and supplements added

exzactly what were you putting in her water???​

Back
Top Bottom