Respiratory Problem

MaureenWilkinso

Hatching
Mar 13, 2017
I'm a new flock owner and have 10 adult chickens (I introduced eight new ones to my two existing hens two weeks ago), and I have 20 chicks in a brooder. Last week, one hen started looking lethargic and her breathing was rattled. I isolated her and gave her VetRX. Her breathing cleared and she got more energy within three days. Since then, two other birds have developed the same symptoms. I'm treating them the same, but I'm very nervous about my flock. I've been reading that now I must have a "closed flock" and shouldn't incubate any of these currently ill chicken's eggs in the future (assuming they'll live). Do I have to keep these upcoming chicks separate from my existing flock once they mature? I certainly don't want to continue treating new birds, but I also don't want to cull any of my existing flock members if they can overcome their illness. Any help would VERY MUCH be appreciated!!

Your situation is why I no longer buy anything but chicks, or hatching eggs. Older birds can carry things they are immune to but other birds aren't.

I personally would let the illness run it's course. Culling any birds that don't improve within a week or two, as they more than likely won't, and will continue to be carriers. If you want to treat than do so, but you won't eliminate birds that may end up being carriers.

I would think as the illness runs it's course than the birds will stop shedding active viruses and you can introduce your chicks. They should be 8-10 weeks of age, and all adults should look healthy before you do.

You could get a sick or dead bird tested to see what you are dealing with as there are environmental things that can cause respiratory problems like moldy bedding and not enough ventilation. In the future I would only get fresh chicks or hatching eggs to cut down on introducing diseases to your flock.

I'm a new flock owner and have 10 adult chickens (I introduced eight new ones to my two existing hens two weeks ago), and I have 20 chicks in a brooder. Last week, one hen started looking lethargic and her breathing was rattled. I isolated her and gave her VetRX. Her breathing cleared and she got more energy within three days. Since then, two other birds have developed the same symptoms. I'm treating them the same, but I'm very nervous about my flock. I've been reading that now I must have a "closed flock" and shouldn't incubate any of these currently ill chicken's eggs in the future (assuming they'll live). Do I have to keep these upcoming chicks separate from my existing flock once they mature? I certainly don't want to continue treating new birds, but I also don't want to cull any of my existing flock members if they can overcome their illness. Any help would VERY MUCH be appreciated!!
@MaureenWilkinso , welcome to BYC! Contact you state vet and ask about having one tested for the various respiratory diseases, and you should be able to do this by drawing blood, or by taking a swab of their mouth.

State vets:
http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom