Respiratory Problems :(

nmcinnis1

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 2, 2013
My 6 and a half week old chicken, pullet, is wheezing and sneezes/coughs. I went to the feed store and they gave me duramycin-10. I was hesistant to start it after what everyone online was saying...someone suggested i start with apple cider vinegar and so I did. However, there were no signs of improvements so today I gave the first dose of antibiotics. Does she just have a respiratory irritation? I know viruses cannot be treated with abx so I am hoping I did the right thing. She acts fine and eats&drinks as much as my other two pullets of the same age. I am just concerned for her and want her to get better sooner than later. I am new to the chicken world! These are my first chickens ever. Any advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Nmcinnis1,

I to am having a problem with one of my hens. I have 7 total (brand new chicken mommy) and she is the only one out of sorts. She is eating/drinking fine as well but almost makes a "honking" noise. We have had a couple days here of really high heat and decided to cool them off by setting each one in a tub of water to get cool. That's when we noticed her breathing was wheezy. I actually went to the feed store and they recommended (I bought) Terra-Vet 10. Which I'm hesitant to use until I'm sure this is the right thing to do. I usually find an answer on here pretty quickly to questions I have, except this. It seems there is a lot of different opinions on what to do for a sick bird. I will be watching this thread and hopefully we can both get the answers we need.

Good luck with your birds!
smile.png

Sandy

Back
Top Bottom