respiratory/sinus problems

Trefoil

Songster
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
I've had poultry off and on for many years but have only had peas for 3 years. My losses have always been predator related so I know NOTHING about the disease aspect. I would much rather find out about disease by reading about it before I have problems so I have some questions I hope someone can answer for me.
I got into peas by buying a trio from Mt. Hope. That was before I discovered this forum. When my this years babies were old enough to go outside I have kept them contained, but didn't realize that they shouldn't have been on the ground. They are almost 6 months old now, have been wormed twice with first safeguard and then ivermectin (both times). Should I change the wormer next time?
I have been bedding them in TSC's wood chip/sawdust bedding, since fall covered with leaves. I am going to run out of leaves, does sawdust/wood chips cause sinus or respiratory problems?
They are eating fermented chick grower (22%), which they love, with either spirulina pellets, alfalfa cubes or cat food, and a small amount of vionate and meal worms for treats. They are all about the same size as my full grown hen. Is this a sufficient diet for them? My hen gets her choice of the same or wheat.
Most days they free range all day and go in at night (more or less, sometimes I have to herd them in). Are they going to reach an age where they refuse to go in at night?
I live "in the thumb" of Michigan, after this year will it be too cold for them to be outside with a 3 sided shelter?

Thanks for your patience with my long thread and any help you can give me.

..............................................snip............................................

They are almost 6 months old now, have been wormed twice with first safeguard and then ivermectin (both times). They are almost 6 months old now, have been wormed twice with first safeguard and then ivermectin (both times).
Should I change the wormer next time?
Ivermectin does is not effective against cecal worms (research blackhead), and Safeguard (fenbendazole 100mg/ml), according to my vet, is supposed to be given as follows: 50mg/kg, by mouth and repeat in 10 days. Always best to consult with an avian vet that has experience treating turkeys and/or peafowl.

I have been bedding them in TSC's wood chip/sawdust bedding, since fall covered with leaves. I am going to run out of leaves, does sawdust/wood chips cause sinus or respiratory problems?
It might, but more that that, and I'm speaking from experience, unless you know exactly what the dust and chips are made from, your animals could ingest something poisonous and die. I know of several people that lost horses by using sawdust/chips instead of pine shavings/

They are eating fermented chick grower (22%), which they love, with either spirulina pellets, alfalfa cubes or cat food, and a small amount of vionate and meal worms for treats. They are all about the same size as my full grown hen. Is this a sufficient diet for them?
I'm not experienced enough to say what's good/bad, but I will say that mine get all of the alfalfa hay that they can eat and cat/dog food treats.

My hen gets her choice of the same or wheat.
Most days they free range all day and go in at night (more or less, sometimes I have to herd them in). Are they going to reach an age where they refuse to go in at night?
I think that as they get older, they will start looking for trees to roost in.

I live "in the thumb" of Michigan, after this year will it be too cold for them to be outside with a 3 sided shelter?
I have no clue.

These might help you in selecting a worming program:
Look up the wormers at: http://www.scribd.com/doc/72234998/Plumb-s-Veterinary-Drug-Handbook-Sixth-Edition and
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/avmed/cam/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf

This is a good article about worming peafowl:
http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/21/

Thanks- this leaves me with a couple more questions.
According to the chart you posted ivermectin is used against cacal worms- not true?
When I worm, I use safeguard in their water @ 3ml/gallon of water for 3 days, wait 10 days and repeat, wait 14 days and use the (1ml for full grown) ivermectin on their backs. Is this dosage sufficient?

I've had poultry off and on for many years but have only had peas for 3 years. My losses have always been predator related so I know NOTHING about the disease aspect. I would much rather find out about disease by reading about it before I have problems so I have some questions I hope someone can answer for me.
I got into peas by buying a trio from Mt. Hope. That was before I discovered this forum. When my this years babies were old enough to go outside I have kept them contained, but didn't realize that they shouldn't have been on the ground. They are almost 6 months old now, have been wormed twice with first safeguard and then ivermectin (both times). Should I change the wormer next time? Not necessarily. Those two cover the full spectrum. I work in Valbazen once a year on my birds just to maybe get a little higher effectiveness. You certainly don't need to though.
I have been bedding them in TSC's wood chip/sawdust bedding, since fall covered with leaves. I am going to run out of leaves, does sawdust/wood chips cause sinus or respiratory problems? I would avoid sawdust. I have used wood chips and they are fine. I now use straw exclusively.
They are eating fermented chick grower (22%), which they love, with either spirulina pellets, alfalfa cubes or cat food, and a small amount of vionate and meal worms for treats. They are all about the same size as my full grown hen. Is this a sufficient diet for them? Yes. Make sure the worms are coming from a clean source though. My hen gets her choice of the same or wheat.
Most days they free range all day and go in at night (more or less, sometimes I have to herd them in). Are they going to reach an age where they refuse to go in at night? I have a few free range birds that were homed in a single pen. After three years they still go back into that pen for food and shelter on a regular basis. particularly in foul weather. I would say the sleep in the trees or on the roof 80% of the time during the summer and 40% of the time in the winter.
I live "in the thumb" of Michigan, after this year will it be too cold for them to be outside with a 3 sided shelter? Probably not but I live in Florida so I will leave this to others experieinces.

According to the chart you posted ivermectin is used against cacal worms- not true? Need to use the Safeguard for the cecal worms. Chart is wrong when it comes to peafowl.
When I worm, I use safeguard in their water @ 3ml/gallon of water for 3 days, wait 10 days and repeat, wait 14 days and use the (1ml for full grown) ivermectin on their backs. Is this dosage sufficient? The safeguard dosage is fine. I like to use the Ivernectin orally or by injection just to make sure it makes it into the system, but I am probably way to conservative. There are plenty here who use it on the skin with excellent results. Although I think your 1ml is fine, I know one breeder that uses 2ml when treating on the skin. You may want to explore around for a "consensus" skin dosage.

According to the chart you posted ivermectin is used against cacal worms- not true?

You're correct, the chart does say that. I honestly can't say how effective it may or may not be against what worms, I'm still researching that. What I do know is that all of the vets that I have talked to, and there are many, have all said to use fenbendazole for cecal worms.

When I worm, I use safeguard in their water @ 3ml/gallon of water for 3 days, wait 10 days and repeat, wait 14 days and use the (1ml for full grown) ivermectin on their backs. Is this dosage sufficient?

If they get the recommended mg/kg from drinking, then I would say yes. However, if they are sick and not drinking, no.
These charts list various doses and delivery methods for fenbendazole.
Source: http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/avmed/cam/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom