respiratory treatment for turkey poult?

yesterDAYNE

yurkey crazy
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Apr 27, 2017
Oklahoma
Hello again! I hate having to post here, lol. I bought these 3 sweetgrass turkey poults from a breeder about a week ago, all about 6 weeks old, and ever since I brought them home they acted a bit tired. They weren't super lethargic, they were eating and drinking and having bursts of energy and perching, but all together compared to my 2 6 week olds that I raised from hatch, they were less active. I found blood in their poop, and started treating them with Corid as a safety measure. I'm on about day 6 of Corid at this point, and I've noticed a lack of blood in poo recently. The babies still seem a little tired however, and today I heard one of them have a drastic voice change. It sounds nasally, crackling when it makes any noises and sometimes just out of it's nose when it breathes. It acts a little more tired too, sitting up on the branch most of the time and hanging out there. I saw them eat and drink at least once today.

I'm wondering if it's been something respiratory this whole time, and if I should go ahead and do antibiotics just to be safe. If so, what should I use? I do not have current access to Tylan 50. I can try and order some but I don't know how long it will take to arrive. I have access to: Tylan 200 (really expensive), Duramycin 72-200, both from Tractor supply (I'd have to go buy them first, so I want to make sure they're fine to use before I spend money).

This is for 6 or 7 week old turkeys. They aren't very big. I saw some suggestions on using Tylan 200 but those were for full grown chickens, not a turkey poult, so I want to be careful not to use too much of anything. If there's another medicine usually readily available that I can get ahold of you can suggest it as well and I'll see if I can.

I'm going to go ahead and try and order some Tylan online as well, so are either of these a good thing to order?
https://foyspetsupplies.com/tylan-powder-100-gr/
The Jedd's tylan powder for pigeons is always out of stock every time I look.

I will mention I changed their bedding yesterday, and I noticed that these wood chips have a lot of extra finer... tiny flakes? I always get the big flake bedding, so I thought it was weird that suddenly this big flake bag has a lot of super fine chips mixed in as well. I might be overreacting, but I also really don't want to risk losing these guys with inaction.

Thank you.

Long acting duramycin is meant to be injected into cattle every 3 days. There is no official dosage for chickens, but some use it. Tylan 200 injectable can be used orally 0.1 ml 3-4 times a day for 3-5 days.

Long acting duramycin is meant to be injected into cattle every 3 days. There is no official dosage for chickens, but some use it. Tylan 200 injectable can be used orally 0.1 ml 3-4 times a day for 3-5 days.
Thank you. Before we go get the tylan 200, do you know if LA-200 can be used? We found some at our work left over from when our clinic used to do large animals. We also found a bottle of Tylan Soluble 50mg but it doesnt have an expiration date marked or anything.

Attachments

• 20210716_194954.jpg
    20210716_194954.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 4
Duramycin 72-200 is the same as LA200. They are both long acting tetracyclines for cattle. Usually Tylan 50 would have an expiration date on the bottle and the box. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound of weight given orally or by injection 3 times a day. It is an injectable, not a soluble in water medication. Tylan soluble powder is put into water 1 tsp per gallon of water.

Duramycin 72-200 is the same as LA200. They are both long acting tetracyclines for cattle. Usually Tylan 50 would have an expiration date on the bottle and the box. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound of weight given orally or by injection 3 times a day. It is an injectable, not a soluble in water medication. Tylan soluble powder is put into water 1 tsp per gallon of water.
Okay tysm! The tylan powder is just in a generic bottle, I assume they got it in a package or something and just poured it into a bottle for storage. All they wrote on it is "Tylan Soluble 50mg". We asked one of the techs and she said it's not very old. We might go ahead and try that. We had Tylan soluble at home but it expired in 2006 so I figured we should not use that one.

Oh my bad, it says 50g not 50mg lol.

Should I stop the corid treatment to start the tylan? I just started them on the 1/2 teaspoon per gallon today, but I dont know which one would be more important to do at the moment.

Attachments

• 20210716_205013.jpg
    20210716_205013.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 4
So, I took a fecal in and floated it, and I think I found Hookworms, and maybe a roundworm? The vet had checked a different sample before and said hookworms but I was a bit skeptical, but now that I've looked for myself they definitely seem closer to hookworms.

I brought home some Valbazen (1 year expired, but it should be okay i think?) and Panacur. Does anyone know the dosages on those for a turkey poult? Should I go ahead and finish the corid, even though I don't see any coccidia in the floats? I was wanting to start the tylan as well for the one who has been congested, but I didn't want to stop the corid treatment too soon.

Attachments

• 1626567312730.png
    1626567312730.png
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • 1626567339425.png
    1626567339425.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 1626567386794.png
    1626567386794.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 1626567427400.png
    1626567427400.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 1626567481231.png
    1626567481231.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Valbazen dosage is 0.08 ml per pound of weight once and again in 10 days. Panacur or SafeGuard dosage is 0.23 ml per pound given for 5 straight days. I don’t recognize hookworms in a slide since I don’t do fecal floats, but @Sue Gremlin might chime in.

Valbazen dosage is 0.08 ml per pound of weight once and again in 10 days. Panacur or SafeGuard dosage is 0.23 ml per pound given for 5 straight days. I don’t recognize hookworms in a slide since I don’t do fecal floats, but @Sue Gremlin might chime in.
Thank you so much for being so helpful haha. I'm honestly still not sure if they're hookworms or not? Hookworms look like they're oval shaped and these were definitely round, but I couldn't find another worm on the chart that looked super similar.

Back
Top Bottom