1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Respiratory

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carlape, Nov 23, 2014.

1. carlape

carlape Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Hello,
    I have an 8 year old Brahma rooster that has a respiratory illness. Eyes had yellow, foul smelling discharge, and his is breathing deeply. I have had him on Albon (from my vet) since Monday and it is not working. I have a compounded drug (from a vet); it is Sulfameth-Trimeth suspension. I do not have Albon.
    Thanks!
    Carla

2. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    I am not near as chicken smart as most people regarding chicken health, but I do know that in respiratory problems, what to treat with. I use Tylan 50, which is specifically for cattle/hogs, but you can use it for chickens. You have to inject it. Use 1ml if your chicken is over 5lbs, or 1/2ml if under 5lbs.

How to inject:

After drawing the Tylan into the syringe, flick it until there are NO air bubbles. Have a helper hold your chicken on his back. Feel for the breast bone. One you find the breast bone go to the left or right of the breast bone, and feel for the breast muscule. Slowly inject the needle approximately 1/4 inch deep, and inject the tylan.

Hope this helped!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by