respitory infection?????

kyrose

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne,Ky.
hello,i noticed my cochin roo was sneezing about a week ago.he had no other symptoms.today he is still sneezing and now i see a clear liquid coming out of his nostrils when he sneezes.theres no other symptoms as of right now.i have seperated him and am now wondering what to do next.he is a beloved pet so i dont want to cull him.also do i need to treat the rest of my flock?right now no one else is showing any symptoms.
thanks for any help...

anyone,please...went to tsc and all they had was duramycin,so i have started him on that.ill start treaing the rest of the flock tomorrow.if hes feeling better in 3 days can i put him back out with the rest of the flock and let him finish his meds with them?i have no where else to isolate him but in my living room,so....

I'm sorry i don't have advice for you about medicating him. But you should know that if he has nasal discharge, he most likely has a respiratory disease which he will carry for life - making him contagious. If you choose not to cull him, please do not bring new birds into your flock or ever sell or give away any birds in your flock.

Quote:
is there anything else that can cause this?the liquid is clear.not yellow or green,and hes acting perfectly fine,other then the sneezing and clear liquid coming out of his nostrils.not being lethargic,hes eating,drinking,digging around in his cage,and hes not fluffed up.in other words you wouldnt even no he was sick if you saw him.

respiratory infection is a catch all term- this could be any number of bacterial or viral infections. Maybe it could be a reaction to dust or urea if the coop/run is really dusty or dirty- but if the coop is pretty clean, you likely have a bird with an infection. Your options IMO are 1) find out what you are dealing with- meaning ID the bug. You can cull and have the bird tested at your state lab (most states have free or low cost labs that will run tests on poultry). 2) You can take the living bird to a vet who will see birds and pay for an exam and culture. 3) you can guess what you are dealing will and pick a somewhat random antibiotic to give- but know that you are highly unlikely to cure this bird- just create a healthy looking carrier bird that is a risk to the rest of the flock.

If the bird is acting totally normal other than the discharge- you are probably not dealing with any of the really scary viral and bacterial problems- it may be CRD (mycoplasma), but treating or not treating these birds still is likely to give you a carrier state.

Quote:
UNFORTUNATELY, THIS IS DEAD ON.
This time of year seems to be a spike season for it too. But yes, sounds like a respiratory deal, one of many, MG and Sinusitis are the most common, and stay with them as said for life, which will infect other birds

thanks for all the responses.these birds are my pets so i will just close my flock.since he was sneezing for a few days before i seperated him i decided to treat the whole flock.dont they usually catch this from other infected birds?if so then someone sold me a carrier bird and knew it.that makes me verhy angry.
somad.gif
i will not do that to anyone else.as i said i will close my flock.

Back
Top Bottom