Resque chicken ID

chicken stalker

TOS Rocks!
Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Yesterday I answered an add in the paper about some chickens. After seeing the conditions they were in I took them all and the duck. I gave half to my father. I made a little fenced in area for them to play in the daytime since they haven't seen the outside world for most of thier lives. They are sooo happy!!!! I think I saw them all smile
wink.png
Now I need help IDing the breeds. Someone layed a nice large light brown egg this morning and last night the white one layed a white egg. Thanks in advance.

Barred Rock with white legs?????
IMG_2496.jpg

Japanese something???
IMG_2495.jpg

Maran????
IMG_2492.jpg

This is my first duck so I am clueless (male of female???)
IMG_2498.jpg

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree..

I think the first one is a Barred Rock. My reasoning is that she looks like a fair bit older than the others. As the hen ages...her legs bleach out from giving the yellow pigmentation to the yolk.

1. Barred Rock (If an older bird...she looks older to me considering the floppy comb. As the Barred Rocks age, their combs can flop over. Good indication of age.)
2. Production Leghorn. Looks fairly young because of the lack of bleaching in her legs.
3. Black Sex-Link
4. Duck.
big_smile.png

How old is the duck? I assume it is over a year so I'm saying female. I think it might be a blue swedish. I have had quite a few come out mostly white with just a small amout of grey.

Example 1:
Picture527.jpg

Example 2:
Picture174.jpg

Example 3:
Picture399.jpg

ETA: With the duck, make sure she has a water dish deep enough to submerge her beak. She should easily be able to dip her head in and have the water be up over her nostrils. They need to be able to do that to clear debris from their nose. She is also going to need a kiddie pool to swim in if you don't have a pond she can get in. If they don't get to swim, their legs and feet can get really dry and crack. That doesn't happen with all, but some of them do. It's also good for the feathers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom