Rest In Peace Momma Hen.....

Those old hawks are so swift and silent. Is it possible for you to do anything about the hawk, or is it protected? Even with cover, if the predator is that silent when attacking, you will continue to have losses. I am not criticizing you for your losses, I know your chickens must be happy, being able to forage for weeds and bugs, and I'm sure they lay beautiful eggs, too. I'm just concerned that you have already lost a number of birds, and your favorite among them. I'm sorry for your loss.

Christina

I free range my hens also. Fortunately hawks stay away from the part of town I live in.
fl.gif
There are some interesting threads in scaring hawks off by hanging cd's around. I have found those to be very interesting. If you haven't seen those threads, you might find them interesting as well. But alas, new info and ideas are the last thing you need when you heart is breaking. So sorry.
hugs.gif

Thank you all.

I just have such a hard time protecting my flock. I have not had a hawk for over a year. Of course I can not tell you all how these problems are solved.

The birds (i say this because I have Guineas too) free range in well over 10 acres. LOTS of cover, LOTS of bugs and such to chase about.

When the Guineas go off, I run out and look about. Usually of course it is probably the wind or something, but i am usually on it.

Today, of course I was away and I already had an encounter with the hawk and thought he would be gone for the day.

I made him drop his catch earlier that day. Do not know what it was, but it was not a chicken. Dropping his catch may be the best thing that happens to him.

The really bizarre thing is the NEVER attacks the roos (well they are huge) and the Guineas buddy up so much that there is hardly ever one alone.

The hawk stays away from the barn, it has had some bad experiences there. This attack was pretty unprecedented, way too close to the house.

I'm so sorry you lost your hen! I had three hens roost way high in a tree for some reason one night and even spraying them with water would not bring them down. So I left them as it was too dangerous to climb and get them down. Sure enough the next morning at sunrise one was taken by the hawk that lives here:(

Quote:
This is also what I have read. Shiny old CDs or DVDs can be hung from lines around the area your hens most frequent. Perhaps even small mirrors and shiny, inexpensive Christmas garland replaced every so often? Netting also over the main areas the hens like if that is possible in your area. Any way you could entice a murder of crows to hang out at your place? They sound the alarm LOUDLY and annoy the hawks. If any crows live near you you could try feeding them some goodies to do this!

So sorry for the loss of your hen and chicks.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Thought exactly the same thing. She was a good mama to the end. I'm very sorry for your loss. Hurts so much to lose what you love.

hugs.gif

Sorry about your girl, and it isn’t your fault, it happens. This time of year is the worst. The sky gets all cloudy where I live, and you can’t even see if a Coppers Hawk is flying above. The chickens have no idea if they are safe. Also, there are a bunch of young hawks that mommy is no longer feeding, so they are looking for something simple to snack on. What concerns me is that you may not have a baby hawk on your hand, as he took a large white rock? Young hawks in my experience only went after babies, and bantams.

Also, from what I hear from others shelter as in a run, doesn’t really help. I have heard people say their chicken ran into an enclosing, hawk fallowed chicken, dead chicken. And if it was a gray day, your hen may have never seen him coming.

You mentioned your roosters, and I love my big guys, but I am going to suggest getting a few Gamefowl Roosters. They are much smarter, hardier, and better fighters. Their bright colors, make them stand out more as well. I have had some hawks take glances at my Junglefowl rooster, who was staring them down, and fly away.
My Junglefowl also tends to notice things more quickly then the other boys. He lets out a cry that sends all birdies into the bushes. Then he stands out in the middle of the yard, and watches the sky until the hawks are gone. The other boys also stand out, but all the hens wait till he gives a signal to come out. I have hawks come almost every day, and see him at work, and I haven’t lost any birds this year to hawks.

Also when I see a hawk I also run outside and spread my arms out, cry in a loud hawk cry to the bird, and eye him down, as a challenge. It makes me look crazy, but it has always got them to leave.

And try to get some crows if you can. Crows hate hawks. Sorry about your birds, I’m sure you, and the chicks, will miss them lots.

Yes, thank you. I do have two jungle fowl. One was the pappy of the babies which really makes me mad because it is sooo very hard to raise these guys anyhow. My roo is a wonderful guy and I really fear he will try to ward off this hawk and become a meal his self.

I have the remaining babies in the barn in a big cage I reserve for introducing pullets. The Guineas are wonderful at baby sitting the small pullets.

Back
Top Bottom