Rest in Piece Rex, Nugget and Phoebe.

I feel your pain. On demises I wish the pain would go away at some point, but when I think about them it's always there. I've had pet chickens since 2007. I have buried so many I can't think about it. Everyone got a prayer at gravesite. I do have to remember the joy they gave me during their life. Have a good cry. That's all I can say.

I do have to say that I lost 4 of my most beloved chickens by a racoon. My fault. I had an opening in my wire roof, an opening just 6 x 12 inches covered with a large tarp over the whole roof. A racoon found it. I could have prevented it by closing the hole I knew was there. It's been about 8 years and I can still cry about it.

Right now all my chickens free range during the day when we are home. Thank G_d nothing has happened. They do have a large "fort knox" pen when we're not home. I have fox and hawks around. But it seems they are still just interested in small field vermin. I do the best I can. I do everything possible that I see. But it's not enough. There's always some unforseen situation where one of my pets will ................

With hawks and foxes, I don't only watch them, I watch their behavior. I'm sorry.

Absolutely. Over the past 4 months we’ve had our flock go through so much- coccidiosis, URI, mites and now a fox. The Greys are now staying secure in the coop unless we or the dog are outside with them. Foxes are so smart and it definitely knew the 2 separate days the dog was away that it was the time to strike. Thank you ❤️
That is a serious problem. First ailments then a preditor. That's so awful. I don't know what to tell you. Anything is smart , they all look at your chickens like they were dinner.

So sorry for your loss agold23. :( They were beautiful birds and I kinda know how you feel.

I've lost several, but not to predators. Mine contracted coccidia and before I realized it, I lost 16. ;( I don't free-range mine due to predators. I also have concrete floors, 2x4 welded wire, covered with chicken wire. The entire coop and run are covered this way. I'm not worried about anything digging underneath due to the concrete. Biggest problem is this old woman is not the best concrete finisher and my drainage is off. :( That I will take care of after the weather cools. The only place I'm concerned about is the doorway. A weasel or rat may be able to squeeze through. I'm blocking the best I can and praying they stay safe.

Hope next year is a better year for you.

Back
Top Bottom