Rest in Piece Rex, Nugget and Phoebe.

agold23

Songster
May 25, 2021
6:30am I was letting my flock of 5 outside. Phoebe, my 10 week old silkie chick slept in the nesting box so I grabbed him and let him down on the floor not knowing this was the last time I’d ever hold him. Rex the silkie rooster crowed loudly from the roost which startled me. I didn’t know this was the last time I’d hear his shrill call. Rex then gave Nugget the RIR pullet a peck on the head cause she was getting too close to him. I quickly left the coop because I had to leave in 15 mins for my 8 hour shift at the dog kennel where I had decided to bring my own dog Cricket in for daycare while I worked. I was supposed to be working 3-8pm instead of 7-3 but a coworker and I switched shifts.

Just after 3pm I had reached my house. As I walked out of the way from the tree line I see my dad standing there at the edge of the lawn. I let Cricket my dog off lead and she goes to greet him. I come closer and see a trail of white fluffy stuff, thinking maybe a pile of mushrooms sprouted in the night and I hadn’t noticed when I set off this morning. I cross the street and get closer to him. I see an upset look on his face and look back at the “mushrooms”. A grim realization hits me. Those are Rex’s feathers.
E7AC413F-193D-4378-BC73-6FBE939280C7.jpeg

He tells me a fox got not only Rex but Nugget too and he couldn’t find Phoebe the little chick either. I immediately burst into tears. I run to the backyard where the coop and run are and see Lexi and Dori, the remaining two hens.
2E19932A-7AA5-4483-990A-91B172E04570.jpeg

They are fine thankfully. After 30 mins of crying we collected Rexs feathers. I buried them beside the grave of my hen BB. I decided to add one of Nugget’s eggs from the fridge as something to bury for her.

My mom and sister were home at the time of the attack. My mom said she heard a loud squawk and looked out the window to the road to see a fox running with Nugget in its mouth. Lexi also ran to the road and was later found in the ditch across the road. By the time she saw Nugget being taken, Rex and Phoebe were already gone. It was too late.

I am so upset about the sheer fact that this happened. My mind has been swimming, especially with what if questions. What if I hadn’t brought my dog into work so she’d be able to go outside and possibly get the foxes? What if I hadn’t switched shifts so I’d be able to bring my dog outside as I do normally during the day? What were their final moments like? Where are they now? How long did they suffer? Are those the same foxes who took Nuggets brother Plum, 2 weeks ago?

I care for all of my animals so much. I am absolutely heartbroken I had to lose them like this. I miss them so much and I am especially upset about poor Phoebe. How could this have happened? How could I have let this happened?

FD18B791-C67F-44CA-985E-7EFD928FB010.jpeg

Phoebe, who lost his mom, BB, 7 weeks of age. He was just getting used to the flock at the bottom of the pecking order. He is now with her in the afterlife.
A251FA4D-2139-4DEC-A1E7-F3927EE3FCE1.jpeg

Rex, whose looks made up for his rude personality. I can confidently say he loved his girls and definitely went down with a fight. I admire him for that.
273945B7-67A3-40FD-AA7B-F5C09A0AB6B7.png

And sweet little Nugget who was skittish but such a wonderful bird to have around.

I am so sorry my chickies that this happened. No words can explain how regretful and apologetic I am. I care about you all so much and it’ll never be the same around with all of you gone. I’m not mad at the foxes, I know they have to eat. I’m mad that you guys were the ones they chose. Rex, Phoebe and Nugget, thank you for letting me love you.

6:30am I was letting my flock of 5 outside. Phoebe, my 10 week old silkie chick slept in the nesting box so I grabbed him and let him down on the floor not knowing this was the last time I’d ever hold him. Rex the silkie rooster crowed loudly from the roost which startled me. I didn’t know this was the last time I’d hear his shrill call. Rex then gave Nugget the RIR pullet a peck on the head cause she was getting too close to him. I quickly left the coop because I had to leave in 15 mins for my 8 hour shift at the dog kennel where I had decided to bring my own dog Cricket in for daycare while I worked. I was supposed to be working 3-8pm instead of 7-3 but a coworker and I switched shifts.

Just after 3pm I had reached my house. As I walked out of the way from the tree line I see my dad standing there at the edge of the lawn. I let Cricket my dog off lead and she goes to greet him. I come closer and see a trail of white fluffy stuff, thinking maybe a pile of mushrooms sprouted in the night and I hadn’t noticed when I set off this morning. I cross the street and get closer to him. I see an upset look on his face and look back at the “mushrooms”. A grim realization hits me. Those are Rex’s feathers.
View attachment 2831307
He tells me a fox got not only Rex but Nugget too and he couldn’t find Phoebe the little chick either. I immediately burst into tears. I run to the backyard where the coop and run are and see Lexi and Dori, the remaining two hens. View attachment 2831306
They are fine thankfully. After 30 mins of crying we collected Rexs feathers. I buried them beside the grave of my hen BB. I decided to add one of Nugget’s eggs from the fridge as something to bury for her.

My mom and sister were home at the time of the attack. My mom said she heard a loud squawk and looked out the window to the road to see a fox running with Nugget in its mouth. Lexi also ran to the road and was later found in the ditch across the road. By the time she saw Nugget being taken, Rex and Phoebe were already gone. It was too late.

I am so upset about the sheer fact that this happened. My mind has been swimming, especially with what if questions. What if I hadn’t brought my dog into work so she’d be able to go outside and possibly get the foxes? What if I hadn’t switched shifts so I’d be able to bring my dog outside as I do normally during the day? What were their final moments like? Where are they now? How long did they suffer? Are those the same foxes who took Nuggets brother Plum, 2 weeks ago?

I care for all of my animals so much. I am absolutely heartbroken I had to lose them like this. I miss them so much and I am especially upset about poor Phoebe. How could this have happened? How could I have let this happened?

View attachment 2831331
Phoebe, who lost his mom, BB, 7 weeks of age. He was just getting used to the flock at the bottom of the pecking order. He is now with her in the afterlife.
View attachment 2831332
Rex, whose looks made up for his rude personality. I can confidently say he loved his girls and definitely went down with a fight. I admire him for that.
View attachment 2831337
And sweet little Nugget who was skittish but such a wonderful bird to have around.

I am so sorry my chickies that this happened. No words can explain how regretful and apologetic I am. I care about you all so much and it’ll never be the same around with all of you gone. I’m not mad at the foxes, I know they have to eat. I’m mad that you guys were the ones they chose. Rex, Phoebe and Nugget, thank you for letting me love you.
Oh I am so sorry for your loss. Please don’t blame yourself. . :hugs

:hugs We don't have foxes, we have coyotes, raccoons, hawks and the occasional dog. But I think the only way not to suffer losses is not to have chickens. And that's not an option we're willing to consider. So we have the tightest defenses we can muster and our losses are minimal. Best you can do is learn from the experience and take whatever steps you can to prevent a repeat, so your precious pets won't have died in vain. Best wishes going forward. ❤️

:hugs We don't have foxes, we have coyotes, raccoons, hawks and the occasional dog. But I think the only way not to suffer losses is not to have chickens. And that's not an option we're willing to consider. So we have the tightest defenses we can muster and our losses are minimal. Best you can do is learn from the experience and take whatever steps you can to prevent a repeat, so your precious pets won't have died in vain. Best wishes going forward. ❤️
Absolutely. Over the past 4 months we’ve had our flock go through so much- coccidiosis, URI, mites and now a fox. The Greys are now staying secure in the coop unless we or the dog are outside with them. Foxes are so smart and it definitely knew the 2 separate days the dog was away that it was the time to strike. Thank you ❤️

View attachment 2831307
He tells me a fox got not only Rex but Nugget too and he couldn’t find Phoebe the little chick either. I immediately burst into tears. I run to the backyard where the coop and run are and see Lexi and Dori, the remaining two hens. View attachment 2831306

View attachment 2831331
View attachment 2831332
View attachment 2831337

I love Rex's colors! I'm sorry you lost them. I love Phoebes Coors he looked so sweet! I lost my favorite duck to a mean raccoon. Why don't they find their own food instead of doing it the easy way! I love the name Nugget I'm going to name one of my silkies that.

Its the chance you take while free ranging unsupervised ive had a fox grab a duck in front of me before but let go as I was chasing it also took chickens. Thats why I trap them and dispatch them now but really dont need to as they must be finding food elsewhere now or eating someone elses birds as mine are penned. Seen a hawk yesterday though circling

Back
Top Bottom