Resting a Laying Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheeptrick, Jan 10, 2008.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Hi all,
    I have a new Flock of Easter Eggers which I got as day olds last spring. Mine are just starting to moult. My question is about allowing a laying hen to rest. I do have a red heat lamp in the coop here in New Hampshire.
    Is it bad that I've 20 hens getting about 12 eggs a day? Are some of them resting if the egg production has slowed up? Should I remove the lamp for a couple weeks to let them rest? Or am I doing the right thing?

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It is a matter of choice whether you want the hens to rest or not. They did have some rest during the molt. Some hens will only lay every other day after their molt, so that could be the case here.
    The red lamp is fine for the girls, and a longer rest next winter is what I would do for the then older hens.

bigzio

3. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Thanks Bigzio...
    Only got 8 eggs today...2 weeks ago I was averaging 16-18 eggs a day. It got REAL cold negative temps -10 here in NH ALL day for over a week...then warmed UP to almost 60 early this week...so I'm sure they are wondering what the heck is going on!
    I'll surely give them a nice long rest in the fall of next year.
    NO light in the coop either...if I do it in the fall I won't have to worry too much about frost bite!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by