Resting chickens after processing

HHandbasket

The Chickeneer
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
El Dorado County, California
How long do we have to let chickens rest after processing? We usually let them rest 2 days before putting them in the freezer, but we are processing a dozen birds this afternoon & were thinking of eating one of them for dinner tonight. Thoughts/experiences? Thanks!

How long do we have to let chickens rest after processing? We usually let them rest 2 days before putting them in the freezer, but we are processing a dozen birds this afternoon & were thinking of eating one of them for dinner tonight. Thoughts/experiences? Thanks!
We used to eat them the same day growing up and it was fine. I think it would depend on how old the bird is and how you will be cooking it. If It is older, braising works best.

The one thing that makes the biggest difference is brining.

Two days is usually ok for letting them rest.

Now I am hungry.....

Hi Jerilynn (did I spell your name right? LOL)
frow.gif

I usually rest them 2 days. But like Ron said, if I'm braising, I've used them 15 minutes later with no issue.

I think you are doing meaties, so they should be young and tender to use right away.

I started out letting them rest in the fridge in water. But then I decided to just stick some straight into the freezer and I cannot tell any difference from resting to not resting. (unless having them in the freezer counts as resting)
hu.gif

I started out letting them rest in the fridge in water. But then I decided to just stick some straight into the freezer and I cannot tell any difference from resting to not resting. (unless having them in the freezer counts as resting)
hu.gif
It probably does act similar to resting. It takes time for them to freeze and then they have to thaw which adds time.

The chicken sold in the stores are not rested. They are chill gassed to freeze them very quickly. Even the ones not frozen are gassed to near freezing temperatures.

One of my co-workers(he used to be a butcher, now he's a Mailman), said with young chickens there is no need to rest them, they are already very tender. I've heard people say you do need to rest them. I've cooked and eaten chicken that was processed a few hours before I cooked it, It was delicious!!

hu.gif

I read somewhere (don't remember where) that freezing/thawing counts as resting.

To the ones talking about tenderness on young birds, the resting is basically just so the rigor mortis will pass.

The chicken sold in the stores are not rested. They are chill gassed to freeze them very quickly. Even the ones not frozen are gassed to near freezing temperatures.
Most of the chickens and turkeys in stores have been stunned with electricity before being killed, and that can either prevent rigor mortis from happening, or speed it up so that it is over quickly.

Back
Top Bottom