Resting locally sourced eggs

Orange Chicken 22

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2020
Should you rest locally sourced eggs? And if so, for how long? I could only find information on shipped eggs and eggs from your own flock. I have two dozen duck eggs that I got from about 45min away and plan on resting them for 12 hours.

Should you rest locally sourced eggs? And if so, for how long? I could only find information on shipped eggs and eggs from your own flock. I have two dozen duck eggs that I got from about 45min away and plan on resting them for 12 hours.
I don't even rest shipped eggs. I do allow any eggs to come to room temperature before I put them in the incubator.

Resting for 12 hours should be good. Depending on the ride they may be ok. Candle and check air cells. They may be fine. If detached rest them foe sure.
I have done it all the different recommended ways. None of them showed any better hatch rates for me. This is why I don't bother resting them. Other than during the turning phases, they are sitting still in the incubator. Studies have proven that turning the eggs is most important in the earliest days of incubation.

I think it depends more on how they are transported. Inside the cab and upright they should be fine to put right in or as mentioned bring to temperature then set.

I had a batch I transported in a #10 can down the freeway in the bed of my truck. I went for an adult bird and the seller ended up giving me all these hatching eggs and two silkie chicks, one for each kid, for free. The catch was they were nasty! That's the reason they went in the bed. Completely covered in mud and poop. When I got home I washed them all under the faucet and spritzed them with a disinfectant. I candled them and had some saddled or detached air cell. I was pretty surprised considering it was only 20 minutes from my house. But that shaking around in the bed in the can made a big difference.

Believe it or not it was a pretty decent hatch. :lau My best hatches are always when I couldn't care less what hatches.

Last edited:
A lady who ships eggs on her page, says she read a study that says to let an egg(shipped or not) rest 7 days after it was laid, is better than one that was just laid.

A lady who ships eggs on her page, says she read a study that says to let an egg(shipped or not) rest 7 days after it was laid, is better than one that was just laid.
That is really bad advice. Hatchability decreases greatly after 7 dyas for most people. This is why the recommendations are to not store eggs for more than 7 to 10 days before incubating.

I have had egg's incubating already under development a couple of time's before, when people bought them locally. One of the person's only lived about 1 1/2 hours away 1 way, and the other person lived about 3 or 4 hours away 1 way. I had taken them out of my incubator and placed them big side up in egg carton's and handed to them for the trip's. Yes, they were able to hatch them out in their own incubators.

Back
Top Bottom