resting the butchered birds

simplycreative

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 13, 2010
Waynesboro, GA
after all the processing is done, is it ok to let the birds rest in ice water or just ice? pack them in bags and let them rest in the cold that way? i worry that letting them sit in water will make them not taste as good.

simplycreative

I was taught to put them in the fridge for a full 24 hours before you freeze them. This helps the rig-a-mortis relax and they won't be so tough when you eat them.

I froze my first birds right away and ended up having to use them only for soups and shredded stuff. But once learning that trick they have been tender and yummy ever since!

Good luck!

Resting in ice and water is fine. Some people add salt and sugar to make it a brine, which is just a matter of preference. I processed 8 roosters this weekend and put them in an ice chest and covered them with ice. I added ice every day, but didn't drain off the water. I did add the salt and sugar this time just to see how it is. After 3 days I took them out, let them drain a bit, sealed in vacuum bags and put them in the freezer.

Thank You so much for the reply's, i was worried the water would make them loose taste or such, the salt and sugar ........ that sounds neat, it may add a little sodium to the meat but im not to worried aboiut that. i have about 10 birds i need to process this coming weekend and have been doing some research on it.

simplycreative

I bag first, then put them on ice in an ice chest (no room in my fridge) for 36-48 hours, adding more ice if necessary. I don't like ice and water because I think the chickens get kind of a mushy feel that way. I could be imagining it, tho. I do use ice water baths in between the processing steps to keep things cold as the day wears on (after plucking, after evisceration).

Brining the birds in salt water, and draining before freezing, will actually
help the meat quality!
Compare the taste, you'll see!

Back
Top Bottom