1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

resting the chicken...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cestial225, Sep 14, 2013.

1. cestial225

cestial225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    So my husband just process two of our bantam cochins. They are all cleaned up so I just stuck them in ziplock gallon bags and put them in the fridge. Is that what most people do when they say they are resting the chicken? How long should I let it rest in the fridge before putting cooking it or freezing? Thanks!

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    You don't need to wait. I've slaughtered chickens and either we cook them then or freeze them for later.

HS Pye

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I either rest it in the fridge for 2 days before cooking or put it right in the freezer. The way I look at it, it takes two days for a frozen bird to thaw anyway, so that's when it can do its resting/relaxing.

You just don't want to cook up a freshly butchered bird immediately, the rigamortis has set in and makes the meat extremely tough. The resting period is just giving time for the muscles to relax after death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by