Restless leg syndrome anyone?

coloradochick

Songster
12 Years
Dec 19, 2007
Brighton, CO
It's driving me crazy !! and it's not just at night it's anytime during the day but more at night. It just started about a month ago in my right leg. Now it's in both but not at the same time. Any ideas for some relief?

I had it both times when I was pregnant. that is actually how I knew I was pregnant the sencond time. There is some medication you can take if you are not pregnant. It is aweful. My grandma said that if you put ivory soap under your sheet it should help...wifes tale but worth a try. also more bananas.

I had it during pregnancy too. I'll give more potassium a try
smile.png
although I have heard of the Ivory tale
wink.png

Only when pregnant. Ivory didn't help me. But, dr gave me a few B vitamins and potassium. They are ok now. Is yours related to the insane heat at all?

I am not here to offend anyone of one of their health problems, but you guys had to see this. I am not making fun of your situation, but if you didn't have restless leg syndrome you would laugh.

I've had RLS for years. I take a prescription drug, generic Ropinirole, nightly. It keeps the symptoms down quite well. I also make sure I eat plenty of bananas, so I keep a good level of potassium up.

Before trying the medication, I did all the things the doctor recommended - except, perhaps, for the vigorous exercise. Some times it would be so bad I would do the "bicycling" motions in bed just to shut my legs up.

Nothing but the Ropinirole has worked.

What does it feel like to have RLS? Do your muscles tense up on their own like their working? Do the legs actually move?

I give my boyfriend a hard time because he's always shaking his leg in bed when we first go to sleep and it always keeps me up. He tells me that he thinks he has RLS and I tell him that his "nervous twitching" is stress and for him to calm down and go to sleep. Am I being insensitive??

My mother was troubled by it for awhile. Someone told her to put a bar of soap under the sheets with her. She figured it couldn't hurt. The worst that could happen was that it wouldn't work. She had lots of bar soap. She took one to bed with her. It worked. She said she didn't know why it worked, but it did for her. Give it a try. I mean, what can you lose?

To me, the sensation in my legs starts out like low level electrical activity just under the skin, skittering across the calves and traveling without recognizable pattern from here to there and back again. More than annoying. Then somebody turns the dial up and it gets worse, often becoming painful, but nothing like muscle cramps. It's subcutaneous, not deep. But you can't touch the bothersome areas as the sensation moves....

I can get really fractious as it keeps me from sleeping. The "restless" bit is trying to shut the sensation off by moving from position to position, which -annoyingly - never works. But ya get crazy from it, and I've been known to slam my knuckles into particularly active parts of my lower legs to create a different sensation to "over-ride" the twitchy part.

Back
Top Bottom