Restore rusty waterer?

You could train them to drink from Horizontal Nipples,
Please tell me how? My cockerel can't seem to figure it out. He did get some water out of it, but not enough. Yesterday he seemed very quiet, and I thought he looked skinnier. I brought out the old waterer, and he drank a lot and perked right up. Not sure I can use the HN waterer, which I was going to put inside the coop. Another $14 spent on waterers. Argh.

Please tell me how? My cockerel can't seem to figure it out. He did get some water out of it, but not enough. Yesterday he seemed very quiet, and I thought he looked skinnier. I brought out the old waterer, and he drank a lot and perked right up. Not sure I can use the HN waterer, which I was going to put inside the coop. Another $14 spent on waterers. Argh.
Read this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/switched-to-nippled-water-pail.1426473/post-23485875

Thank you. I will try your suggestions! What are your thoughts of having the HN in the coop, but a different style in the run? I mainly wanted the HN for inside, so I wouldn't have wet bedding to contend with.
I really don't want to further hijack the thread.
Why bother with two waterers needing to be heated?
Plus they won't use the HN's of other water is always available.

Last week I tossed our two very old galvanized waterers into the recycle pile, and bought new ones. Easier! The old ones have been in use for many many years, and earned their retirement. The new ones are on the heated bases, ready for freezing weather. I've also got an extra heated base that will work with a plastic waterer, as backup if one of the other ones dies. And a heated dog dish for the barn cat, and any chickens who wander to the barn. And a black rubber bowl outside the coop for when the flock free ranges.
Better to have extra water sources, not just one! like having an extra sump pump, because stuff always dies at night and weekends.
Mary

Thanks for the tip! I've only spent about $10.00 for spray paint on this project. If it works and I can get a few more years out of my existing waterers then I'll save a lot of money. I only use the metal waterers and heated bases during the winter, and I have plastic waterers I can set out when the temperature allows it.

I also like to have multiple water sources for my chickens. In the summer I have a nipple watering system I made that helps a lot. I've been struggling with old man winter for several years now and hate to spend more money if I can avoid it.

First step before painting is coating the rusty parts with naval jelly. That converts the rust to Iron Phosphate which prevents further rusting itself. You can rinse it off and paint with a good red oxide primer then whatever color you wish.

As for the chemicals in paint, most spray can paint is lacquer even if it says quick dry enamel. Pretty harmless stuff once it has dried a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom