Restoring harmony to our flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Botanista, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Botanista

Botanista New Egg

Aug 4, 2009
    Hi. We are fairly new to backyard chickens, and have a chicken behavior problem we need some advice on. We had a flock of three 8-month old hens (one Golden-laced Wyandotte and 2 Barred Rocks). Last week we added a Buff Orpington and a Blue Silkie to the flock. Our top hen, the larger Barred Rock, Delilah, is not tolerating the new additions. We have been keeping the new hens in our garage at night, and letting them forage in view but with no physical access to the old hens during the day. When we let them mingle (with supervision), Delilah pecks very aggressively at the two new hens. The Orpington seems to be able to handle herself, but the poor little Silkie is small and not so quick. I should add that the other two old hens are not a bit interested in the new hens.

I am starting to feel like we should be taking Delilah out at night, rather than the two new hens, but am not sure how she would respond upon returning. Is this a bad idea or should we continue as we have been until she (hopefully) adjusts?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Some here say that taking your alpha hen out for a few days and then putting her back in might knock her down a peg or two. Hopefully while she's out of the picture, a new world order will be established in your henhouse and you will have a more benevolent dictator.

Good luck.

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Do you have like a dog crate or cage that you can put the new ones in or delilah in and put it right next to the cage??? I heard that that works sometimes... kinda like what you do with new dogs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by