Restrict feed for black broilers?

MTCathyB

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
Broadus, MT
I've read that after chicks are 14 days old you should restrict feed (12 hours on, 12 hours off) for Cornish X so they don't grow too fast. Do you have to do the same with black or red broilers? Or do you let them have feed 24/7? Any other advice for black/red broilers? Thanks.

I got them from Ideal Poultry, but Randall Burkey also has them. They're supposed to be a slower growing broiler with fewer leg and fluid retention problems than CX.

Quote:
We just raised Red Broilers from Privett Hatchery in NM. We processed them Saturday, but have not eaten any of them. Last year we raised Cornish-X, but wanted to try a chicken that was more like, well, a chicken. We did not restrict feed from the Red Broilers like we did the Cornish-x. Red broilers eat until they are full and then stop. We let them free-fed and gave them additional fruit, vegetables and pasture. Cornish-x were eating machines! They just sat in front of the feeder and waited for food. Then they would devour all the food in few minutes.

I agree. My CX in the spring were definitley coop potatoes! How old were the Red Broilers that you just butchered and how much did they weigh? This is the first time I've done Black Broilers so I'm not sure when they will be butchering weight. Thanks for the info on feeding. I'll just keep food in front of them then. They are definitely more active (running around and flapping their wings) than the CX.

we bought red broilers a few years ago from Ideal and no, you do not need to restrict their feed. They eat a lot but do not gorge themselves like the white ones do, they are slower growing. I imagine the blacks would be the same

Back
Top Bottom