Results back from LAB - HELP!

DuckCommander

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 24, 2012
Alberta
I sent two dead turkeys off to the lab. They came back with two different issues!

1. Blackhead Disease
2. Airsacculitis/Pneumonia

They are sending off samples to be tested, and have given no recommendations for treatment at this time.

I'm a bit lost here! First time with turkeys. I have 7 poults left and 2 adults. What do I do?!

If you have not dewormed them, I would give them all a dose of panacur (safeguard) and repaat monthly. The histoplasma organism can not thrive well in a dewormed turkey (Because internal parasites are its host). Good supportive care, away from chickens, and a round of antibiotics targetting pneumonia. Did they culture the lungs?

PS- There are lots of threads on this site that talk about blackhead treatments. Metronidazole, Cayenne pepper and some rare drugs have all been used to treat histo. in turkeys. Search for those threads on BYCF.

I sent two dead turkeys off to the lab. They came back with two different issues!

1. Blackhead Disease
2. Airsacculitis/Pneumonia

They are sending off samples to be tested, and have given no recommendations for treatment at this time.

I'm a bit lost here! First time with turkeys. I have 7 poults left and 2 adults. What do I do?!

I manage my blackhead outbreaks with metronidazole and fenbendazole. Just ask if you want dosing information. As for the Airsacculitis/Pneumonia, it's hard to know how to treat that until the cultures and sensitivities come back, but I'll go out on a limb and say that Baytril (Enrofloxacin) would probably work.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom