Results from First Year with Deep Litter Method

Pics
This is an amazing thread. I am really grateful to aart for the link. I have a few questions.
So, is it better to start with a painted or unpainted wood floor vs. vinyl? I am wondering if a wood floor would eventually rot?
What height is optimal for nesting boxes?

Thanks!
your welcome Ms jellybean!I would seal the wood floor or cover in vinyl (that i could left out and clean under), if it were me. Height of the nest boxes is always lower that the roost pole and I have mine where it's a good height bend to get the eggs out of . That way they always(almost always, not when they are broody) roost on the pole and not in the nests where they will poo. I don't like manure covered eggs
sickbyc.gif
. Currently that is 2 cinder blocks off the floor, height changes due to deep litter method or the amount of floor litter. Yes, a wood floor exposed to the effects of manure will have problems over time and have to have replacements done. which is why you rarely see horses or cattle stalls with a wood floor.

Last edited:
I would seal the wood floor or cover in vinyl (that i could left out and clean under), if it were me. Height of the nest boxes is always lower that the roost pole and I have mine where it's a good height bend to get the eggs out of . That way they always(almost always, not when they are broody) roost on the pole and not in the nests where they will poo. I don't like manure covered eggs:sick . Currently that is 2 cinder blocks off the floor, height changes due to deep litter method or the amount of floor litter. Yes, a wood floor exposed to the effects of manure will have problems over time and have to have replacements done. which is why you rarely see horses or cattle stalls with a wood floor.

Note that using a floor, especially one covered with vinyl, is rather the opposite of the philosophy of the deep litter method that is the topic of this thread. If you do have such a floor (rather than a bare dirt, direct earth floor), you will want to haul in at least a thin layer of good dirt and/or compost to introduce good macro and micro-organisms to help compost the litter. If you plan to clean out the coop EVERY week, then soil would not be wanted or needed. But if you want to take advantage of the composting power of the DLM and plan to only clean out the coop once every 6 months or even 12 months, then you need dirt on the floor. Direct earth dirt is ideal, but hauling in some will be a second best option.

Note that using a floor, especially one covered with vinyl, is rather the opposite of the philosophy of the deep litter method that is the topic of this thread. If you do have such a floor (rather than a bare dirt, direct earth floor), you will want to haul in at least a thin layer of good dirt and/or compost to introduce good macro and micro-organisms to help compost the litter. If you plan to clean out the coop EVERY week, then soil would not be wanted or needed. But if you want to take advantage of the composting power of the DLM and plan to only clean out the coop once every 6 months or even 12 months, then you need dirt on the floor. Direct earth dirt is ideal, but hauling in some will be a second best option.
pdirt is correct, dirt is best and easiest. I have a concrete floor- what is- not what was planned. I put in a light cover of garden soil or compost, nothing bagged-you need the macro/micro organisms here. I believe the question was how to care for a wood floor- earth is best in DLM but not everyone has that choice. I am adding on and not leaving the newer floor as dirt, we are using cinder blocks, as a rim joist, dug in to prevent predators from digging under. and as added protection( 'cause hubby knows i love the chicks and we have almost every type predator wanting our bird.) we have 2000 left over bricks to line the floor with, then dirt and deep litter. only time will tell if i regret the bricks, big experiment, if so they can come out. I clean out every six months.

Yes, I want to have the composting effects of DLM. I am totally willing to do the dirt base, but any ideas on what best to put between the wood floor and dirt?
I imagine plastic or vinyl would make for a slippery mess, no?
I can seal/paint the floor or polyurethane it - perhaps that would slow the rot? Maybe rough up the paint/polyurethane by sprinkling sand over it while wet?
Anyone doing the DLM with a dirt base on a wood floor? Ideas are appreciated. My used shed is coming this weekend and it has a wood floor... Removing the floor is not an option because 1. we have all kinds of predators and 2. My husband will have me committed.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
You can try using Blackjack 57. It's a black roof coating you can get at Lowes. Put it in the search engine here on BYC and you will find several posts about it. If my coop had a wooden floor, I would use it.

Our deep litter is directly on the ground. We have had it since November, and it has been great! So far we've dumped a truckload of leaves in there three times, and it's working like it should. The chickens scratch it up, it dissolves into beautiful compost, and when it gets a little stinky, we just add another load of leaves. That freshens it right up. By next fall when we scrape it all out, we'll have some beautiful compost ready for the spring garden. I would imagine that hardwire cloth or wire mesh would be uncomfortable for the chickens scratching around. They like to scratch all the way into the dirt. There are goodies under there.

DL fan here getting ready to clean mine out for the first time...When you use DL in the garden or plants, do you work it directly into the soil like you would compost? Do you use it as a side dressing? Or do you compost it further?

I put my liter on top of the garden and till it in real good a couple of weeks before planting. My tomatoes love it. Last year they went crazy and grew to over 4 feet tall! I used vinyl on my wood floor for my DLM. Seems to work just fine and I've been doing this for over 5 years now.

DL fan here getting ready to clean mine out for the first time...When you use DL in the garden or plants, do you work it directly into the soil like you would compost? Do you use it as a side dressing? Or do you compost it further?

I do all of that. I have a horse wire circle for a compost bin, that's where the leftover coop/run litter goes. I usually put it direct on the garden, work it in or just top dress. I garden in beds and have deep rich soil now. I used to dig and turn the soil, now I just loosen it with a garden spade.

Back
Top Bottom