Results with Delaware eggs from Seriousbill

dancingbear

Songster
11 Years
Aug 2, 2008
South Central KY
First of all excellent job packing. Bubble wrap on each egg, sheets of bubble wrap above and below the nest of eggs, wadded paper to keep everything in place. All eggs arrived intact, in excellent condition.

I had 26 eggs to start with. I let them settle 48 hours before setting the eggs in the 'bator. I candled on day ten, had 3 clears and 1 blood ring. Next candle, day 18, all looked good except 2 I wasn't sure about, so 20 for sure well developed, 2 more, iffy. Took out the turner, put them in carton bottoms, with air vents cut in the cups. After looking that over, I decided to remove the cartons, and lay the eggs down on their sides, because with the wet sponges, thermometer, and hygrometer, there was no room for the chicks to go when they hatched. They'd have to climb around on top of the cartons, too close to the fan and the heating element. This may have been a mistake.

Once eggs started to hatch, temperature and humidity were hard to keep where they belonged. Temp went way up once, 103F, then there was a period of the temp dropping to around 95F. I couldn't get humidity up over about 55%, eve after hatching started I had trouble getting it to 60%.

I ended up with 7 very active chicks, and I have one more straggler, that I thought was stuck, and "helped out", only to find the yolk not yet absorbed. The chick seems ok for now, but not yet up and running around like the others.

I'm waiting to see how he/she does, and will be doing a little physical therapy with the chick. Just providing a small amount of resistance to leg movements, to help build strength, like fighting the shell would do, if I hadn't been an idiot about this.

I'm not sure what I did or the 'bator did that killed off most of my eggs. They were fine at day 18, so I know the problem was not the eggs themselves. And the ones that did hatch, are some of the healthiest, most vigorous chicks I've seen. I'll post some pics, tomorrow.

If I need more Delaware eggs at some time in the future, I'll ask to order from Seriousbill again. The problems were all from my end, the eggs were excellent.

Glad you did get some! We all have our share of trouble, especially in the beginning. I've envied seriousbills birds for awhile now. I'm getting a few cockerals from shortcake's lines to start but now that I've had some delawares I'm flat delighted with them as well. Good luck with yours and only practice makes perfect. You did good.

Oh, thanks, SpecHen, I'll do that. I've seen that before, but just hadn't really paid much attention to it. Here's pics of my babies!

Library-528.jpg

Library-527.jpg

They're a little worried because the lamp moved. And they just got moved around while I cleaned the box. They're very active, alert, and seem to be right on top of things. There's 7 there, #8 isn't doing as well. He hatched way behind the others, and after he'd been pipped for almost 24 hours, I started slowly "helping him" out of the egg, which was a mistake. He was behind the other, yolk not absorbed yet, I think he might not make it. He's alert, but can't seem to get his feet under him.

Nice looking chicks! I'm a rank newbie and don't even have a chicken on the place (yet), but from what I've read young chicks shouldn't be on bare newspaper in that it can cause spraddle leg because it is too slippery for them. The recommendation is to put some paper towels down on top of the newspaper to give them traction.

Just thought I'd mention, and I could be completely in error!
smile.png

Best wishes,
Ed

Last edited:
Thanks Ed, it doesn't hurt anything to mention possible problems, especially since you never know what level of experience a person may or may not have.

I start them out with rubbery mesh shelf liner, so they have good traction. They don't develop spraddle leg later, after they're up and active and legs ok. At least mine never have. Some have had it when first hatched, especially if they took a long time from pip to zip, but usually 1 or 2 days on the mesh and they're fine. Then I switch to newspaper, so much easier to clean up! Just change the paper, good to go!

Thanks for the clarification regarding the newspapers. Honestly, I thought as long as newspaper was down that it needed to be covered with something non-slippery. Glad to hear that it's a temporary issue!!! That definitely will make things a lot simpler!!

Thanks again!
Ed

Back
Top Bottom