~ Retired and Starting My Future In The Foothills ~

I love to cook also. And I do cook almost all weekend long, however, cooking after working a 9 hour day is no fun. So I usually wind up nuking something for Ken and not eating dinner myself.

I should probably expect to use the burners some time soon, as I bought a set of "Eggies" and they need to be used in boiling water. Wonder if they will replace my microwave egg cooker any time soon?

Now for some recent photos:

This is just too cute not to share.

Bartholomew really likes the big dresser drawer nest boxes I just set up. He can sit with the girls when they're laying.

41679_blackbart-blackbarbieinnest.jpg

Six little day-old Cayuga ducklings. All girls, if Metzer farms sexed 'em right.

41679_babycayugagirls.jpg

Bartholomew is Beautiful. He makes me wish I could have a rooster. My husband loved the picture.
smile.png
Cute little ducks also. I have to now go look up what they will look like as adults. Nothing wrong with not cooking especially if you have great friends who do love to cook. I have done the cooking for a friend and they just chipped in for groceries and helped to wash dishes. I hate doing dishes.

Linda you will have to let us know how those eggie things work. I have seen them on TV ads and have been thinking of ordering them. I have finally learned the trick to hard boiling fresh eggs though, so I don't know if I will get the eggies since that was the main reason for thinking about getting them. I was getting tired of losing half the egg whites when peeling the eggs.

Quote:
Not Linda, however, I do have Eggies and they work WONDERFUL. The yolks wind up not centered and there is a flat spot on the egg, but for hard boiled eggs, they are wonderful.

Quote:
This is what works for me. Put salt in the water. Once they have finished boiling, leave the eggs in the hot water until you are ready to peel them. I added a little warm water to the pot so I could put my hand in the water. Take the eggs out one at a time. I run each egg under more warm water to cool them off just enough to not burn my hand. Then I smack the egg gently against the side of the sink so that the whole shell is cracked into small pieces all over. I start peeling at the big end to get under the membrane and then the shell comes off pretty easy. In fact I keep running water over the egg as I peel it. It seems to help keep the white slippery so the shell slides off.

Hi, Everybody! I'm Soose and Linda's (gryeyes) best friend. I live In Paso Robles, CA. I have no poultry. Unfortunately, I live too far away to help "Her Linda-ness" move. So I am VERY grateful to HHandbasket and Farmer Lew for all the help and support (and meals) they have provided her.

I have been lurking for quite some time, I just LOVE this thread and Linda has always been a superb writer.

Handbasket, I just want to tell you that I can't wait to meet you in person. Sure, we've talked on the phone, but "in person" is special.
smile.png
And I hafta say that Linda is as genuine in person as she is on the written page.

Next, Linda does not like big dogs, at least that's what she's been telling me all these years. I was always the one with the big dogs. My baby is "Maggie", a German Shepherd mix. She is a rescue dog and just turned 11 years old in July.

Speaking of birthdays, I have already "ruined" her special day with texts and birthday songs (yes, I sang them and not as off-key as I usually do!). Let's just say that she was thoroughly "birthdayed" by me that evening (I slept most of the day....ooops!)

As for her cooking, she's a master with the microwave! BUT, in all the years I've known her, I have yet to hear about her culinary feats with a crock pot. Oh, I have seen them on occasion, but I think they are there for decoration purposes only (I think now I'm in hot water with her. LOL)

I know this sounds like a "roast", but it isn't. She's my dearest friend--we are like sisters! I think this legal thing about the chickens stinks! I KNOW Linda--she would NOT have brought that place had she known about that so-called "law". She LOVES ALL her pets and it SHOWS!

Welcome, Soose1! It's nice to meet you and hear about Linda from another perspective. So wish I lived closer to you guys
hmm.png

Thanks, Kansaseq! Believe me, I wish I lived closer to the "old chicken" (probably in trouble again for that remark), too! I live probably 260 miles from the new home. That's quite a drive for me. Of course, Maggie is my traveling companion and just LOVES "Aunt Linda"! Maggie is also VERY good with her poultry. Our last visit was around January or February. The chickens made Maggie an honorary chicken.....I actually watched them eating chicken feed together! <ick!> Our next visit will be either October or November.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom