~ Retired and Starting My Future In The Foothills ~

Sorry about all your pain, physical and insurance-wise!

Oh, Linda, ahem, did you notice that your "purebred" Buckeye has a beard?
hide.gif
Looks like a red EE to me, especially with the white skin on those legs. Buckeyes have yellow legs. He's gorgeous, though.
Oh. Well, darn. But yes, he IS gorgeous!
love.gif
Has a very nice crow, too.
barnie.gif

I'll be back in a bit to do some more updating - my friend (house guest) and her dog, Sheldon, have been keeping me pretty busy.... well, at least away from the computer and the Internet!

Five minutes after she arrived, Sheldon pulled her right off her feet so she face-planted in the gravel quite spectacularly. Then, a few days later, when we tried to get Sheldon into her car, he pulled her off the driveway terrace - a drop of at least 3 feet - and she sprained her ankles very badly. She's "more better" now.

I'll be back in a bit TODAY because I really, really need to add photos and tell some more tales.

Whooa: Nice looking place. How much is the asking? Just get a few goats and sheep. Electric fence it. They will help to clean up the "yard". It looks as if you already have a chicken coop site! Just a little elbow "grease" is all. Would you have a bunch of neighbours wo could help. I am a "home inspector", so I could give advise "long distance". DHL housexpert.

Thank you all - I have been coccooning in front of the TV set for some weeks, now. Lots of photos to share, but not in this post (because my iPad doesn't hold my photo collection). I have to organize well over 300 photos taken in the last two months... My friend and her dog Sheldon departed on Dec. 3rd, after a month's stay. There are stories about Sheldon terrorizing the flock, collectively and individually. Oh, boy, do I have stories! Sue survived her Sheldon-initiated falls, although her ankle still bothers her. Sheldon did not want to get in her car on departure day (on any day, actually, so we made plans for Farmer Lew to come over to get Sheldon in the car for us). FL simply picked up the 64 pound dog, carried him off the porch and put him in the car. Embarrassing Sheldon in front of all the ducks and chickens! I think I am now officially insane, as there are 3 chickens living in the house: the two pullets who SHOULD have integrated a bit over a month ago, and Jack, my special-needs WCBP rooster. Jack fell victim to one of Sheldon's strafing raids on the flock, so he's been in protective custody during the wet and cold weather. While Beth and Punkin love to go outside into the garden (nothing for them to harm this time of year), Jack prefers to stand in the doorway to look outside. I have sent messages to two different BYCers who make chicken diapers, but no replies yet. I am ready to order one for each of 'em... Despite Dooley's vocal objections to Chickens Inside The House. Today, the Inside Pullets "dust-bathed" on a fluffy throw I keep on my bed. Jack is perched on a small stool set on the coffee table so he can watch TV with us (Dooley and Zorro, lap dogs on the sofa under a heated throw with me and Lizbeth purring on top of that warmed blanket). Yesterday and the day before, there was nearly an inch of ice covering the stock pond and the two kiddie pools. Just in the mornings... I pulled out the ice when I added water to them. This morning there was only a film of ice in the fountain basins and bird-bath. But a huge winter storm is just bearing down; I am so hoping for a white Christmas!!! Snow level is forecast for 3500 feet and above, but maybe it will drop in the wee hours of the 25th just for me... (Sorry all y'all residents around me at the 2200 feet elevation.) By the way, Jack never crowed outside at all - he saved that for the first day he felt better inside the house. His crow wasn't a new, squeaky one; maybe he practiced SOMEWHERE beforehand, secretly, but he has a BIg Boy's crow. That's another reason he's going to be a house chicken: I do not want to get rid of him. There's been some "roo shuffling" going on here. Bernard passed away unexpectedly after about three days of acting poorly. This created a vacancy in my "two rooster" limit (because I ignore the fact that Max the Silkie is a crowing fool). HH and FL accepted a couple of new crowers for their Freezer Camp, and brought back one we knew was a Son Of Bernard. For awhile, we called him "SOB" until my house-guest and I converted that into "Sebastian.". However, after he adjusted to his new circumstances, he let me know his name is Domino. * I don't know how it works, but most of my flock-members do name themselves. For me, it makes sense, but curious-minded folks like me who think too much may wonder what could possibly be useful in having a psychic skill which merely gives chickens names. People names, at that. Perhaps they are translations, like Spanish Jose and Vietnamese Ngyuen? Whatever. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Not gonna organize photos for uploading until I am sure we make it through 12/21/12 - why spend time doing that when I can have my hair rearranged by Beth and Pumpkin, while I sit here and watch all my recorded programs?

Back
Top Bottom