~ Retired and Starting My Future In The Foothills ~

thumbsup.gif

That's an adorable "I'm not the Easter Bunny!" chick photo! I'm so sorry you only got one chick, Buugette. I was happy with my first hatchling although I do always hope that at least two hatch. Each chick hatching from an egg is a miracle, as far as I'm concerned.

And now I have 21 little peep miracles in the brooder. Lots of EEs, a few Iowa BlueXAmeraucanas, and five Icelandic chicks. Apparently the latter can all look different from each other so there's probably no way I will be able to tell which are which until they get older and stay "lean" instead of plumping out like the other chicks.

I've had some very nice days off and don't have to go back to work until Thursday. Trying to organize things some more, tidy up things here and there, and rest like the dickens in my Enchanted Recliner. That's the easiest thing of all to do - everybody should have an Enchanted Recliner. I'm just afraid I'll wake up in the next century or sumpin' if I get into it too often. I find I need to sit on the middle (non-reclining) section of the dual-recliner sofa if I want to watch a TV program or movie all the way through. Once in the lap of Enchantment, and surrounded/covered by Zorro, Dooley and Lizbeth, it's far too cozy to get up for anything other than a big loud crashing sound or something which needs investigation.

This is what it looks like when I am NOT under its spell.

Gravel for the excessively rutted, steep driveway was delivered yesterday. The really nice guy with whom I dealt was the truck driver, and he had a little boy chihuahua as a passenger (with his own, special doggie sleeping place in the cab). Very well mannered dog.

Here's the pile of gravel at the coop end of the top driveway section. The white object on the left side of the photo is actually two bags o' feed. Notice the coop is on one side of the pile and the 50# bags are on the other side of it. That was pretty bone-headed of me to not notice it before the gravel was dumped.

Bryan, the gravel guy, had a HECKOVA time getting the dump truck backed up either side of the circular driveway and was quite frazzled by the process. He had been "sure" he could do it, but it took a whole lot of maneuvering to accomplish the task. I gave him an 18-count carton of fresh eggs "for his trouble." He handed me the four receipts for the loads of gravel, asked if I needed a receipt for HIS labor and I said it wasn't necessary. I wrote out the check and he and his doggie drove away. Less expensive than his original quote. I was happy. I gave him a check and stood back to look at my new huge pile of "road base" gravel. Then meandered here and there, moving this or that or just stopping to watch the flock.

Two hours later a Jeep drove up to the gate and Bryan hopped out, in clean street clothes. He had $100.00 in cash to give me, because he had inadvertently over-charged me for his four hours of labor. He was effusively apologetic. How much you bet I utilize him again when I want to re-do the asphalt on the other side of the driveway? Hmmmm?

A friend of the retiree next door is going to bring over a Kabota bobcat on Sunday (after the rain which is supposed to start tonight stops for the weekend.....) to spread the gravel across the top, level section and down the one, steep side to the road. "He works cheap," said my neighbor, "Basically something to justify having the thing to play with, to mollify his wife. Probably 50 bucks for the whole thing, but he'll tell you ahead of time what he thinks it would be worth to him."

It will be nice to be able to make it up the driveway when it's rainy - eventually!

I have taken TONS of photos these past couple of days. Organizing them for "publication" is gonna take some time, and I'm so easily distracted right now. "Oh, LOOK! A chicken!"

Last edited:
Linda it really sounds like you are finding a bunch of great handymen in your area. It must be so nice to be able to know that you can call someone and be able to trust that they will do good work and charge a fair price. The whole homestead is looking mighty fine! Happy belated good wishes on your retirement! I figure I will retire the day after I die, but you inspire me to hope that one day I will be able to.
wink.png
Now you better get going and get those bators ready for the turkey hatch!
gig.gif

Oh, those NYD hatch roos will be gone LONG before they reach 6 months of age. We're planning to process them at about 20 weeks. Weather permitting, it'll be May 10th. We're not going to let them get old like we did the last batch of roos.

Back
Top Bottom