~ Retired and Starting My Future In The Foothills ~

So, a lot of things have happened in the past few days. I quit smoking on Thursday - went back to using the electronic cigarette quite successfully. Sure, it still delivers nicotine, but it's not through burning tobacco and inhaling the smoke. Just the nicotine-laden water vapor.

Lessee, what else? Seemed like it was a very busy weekend, spending time on Saturday "assisting" John with the porch stairs project, then hanging out with HHandbasket most of Sunday.

Oh, yah, and yesterday was my last day of work. <*yawn, stretch*>

Lemme go change the subject line and I'll be back to share a very few photos (thus far) and some tales.

caf.gif

Hey, JulieNKC (Howdy,Neighbor!) do you think she'll be back tonight? She's sort of a night-owl
idunno.gif

Linda, sounds like you're having a nice transition to your new life. Can't wait to hear more about it!

Sarah

Last edited:

May 1, 2012. The view down one side of the driveway from my deck. Glorious morning. I woke up without an alarm, shuffled out onto the deck with my electronic cigarette and a cup of coffee. (After checking on the rapidly growing Cayuga ducklings in their brooder, and the three chicks in THEIR little white cage brooder. Y'see, one of my girls' eggs hatched in an incubator 3 days ago and other eggs didn't, so I bought two Salmon Faverolle chicks to keep the solo chick company. I have never incubated eggs from my own flock; I removed a bunch of eggs from beneath a first time broody pullet who hatched and lost five chicks because she wouldn't leave the nest - I'm guessing. She started taking the last chick out after I removed the eggs....... but I didn't know how long they'd been incubating because I lost track of 'em whilst I was working.)

And the view a few minutes after I stepped onto the deck:

Yup, Carl greeting me.

When I entered the coop to check on .... well, everything .... I discovered the broody Cayuga hen had two little ducklings peeping in her nest. She had hatched one on Saturday which I found dead Sunday morning. I don't know why it didn't survive, but just to be safe, I put a waterer and some feed in a dish inside the dog house with the nesting duck. I am going to keep a good eye on that family now that I am home and can do so!

More photos later - I'm still trying to organize them and choose the best to share. Got more recorded TV programs to watch, though.

The Enchanted Recliner did not claim me ONCE throughout the entire day! After John was done working on the steps for the day (he painted all the parts which needed to be green and will re-assemble them on Tuesday), we sat on the sofa drinking coffee and chatting. I sat on the middle section so I wouldn't sink out of sight into oblivion while we talked about all sorts of things. Mostly ignoring a HUGE verbal faux pas I blurted earlier in the day. Nope, not telling what it was.

We have established that we are friends. I am not "just his best customer with chickens." No, he doesn't have any other customers who keeps poultry... (Although one other customer has a small lake of her own and wild ducks she feeds daily.)

Ya gotta absolutely adore a quick-witted fellow like John. He arrived when I was still in my night-shirt, drinking my first cup of coffee, so he started to set up his power tools and extension cords and whatnot while I went inside to dress for company. Upon my return, I noticed an empty feed sack on the windshield of his work van, tucked under the wiper blade. So I asked about it.

"That's a chicken prank."

A chicken prank?

"Sure. One held the wiper up while the other pulled the feed bag under it. They think they're "getting" me because I don't like them getting into the van."

So, half a cup of coffee "on board" and I am pretty positive I understand the words John has said, totally deadpan, but that cannot really be why that feed bag is up there. He cops to it when I fix him with a stare. "It keeps the sawdust out of the vents."

Morning Linda!!!

Ok I was a little confused on the feed sack deal
idunno.gif
But then I just kept reading and WA-LA. Ya, it's early and my coffee hasn't saturated my body yet. But I like his sense of humor
gig.gif

I am soooo happy to hear you're going to stop smoking
yesss.gif
. Good luck with that Linda!!!!!!

And now that you're retired and have time to spare, we all want you on here more updating us on all your goings ons
caf.gif

Have a super day!!

Hey, JulieNKC (Howdy,Neighbor!) do you think she'll be back tonight? She's sort of a night-owl
idunno.gif

Linda, sounds like you're having a nice transition to your new life. Can't wait to hear more about it!

Sarah
frow.gif

So glad you are enjoying your retirement Linda. I've loved reading your thread here and seeing the progress. Enjoy having time to spend with your birds, and more time to spend on BYC lol.

Hi Linda...
I have followed your story from day one, and have so enjoyed reading about your adventures. I have thought many times about how much I wish we were closer and could visit and make chicken talk. I guess from Texas to California is enough to discourage any such thoughts though.
Congrats on stopping smoking. My son's wife and her grown daughter started a business called "All About Vapor" in a town just outside Austin, maybe 1 1/2 years ago. It is the only one anywhere near Central Texas, and their business has just gone off the page. Feedback on their website has been great.
I quit smoking nearly 7 years ago. I tell you...when you hear you have breast cancer (me) and know of the $$$$ med. you have to take for 5 years, and then hear that smoking will very much lower your chances of the med. working, there is really no choice. I have thought about the electronic cigs., but don't want to get into the habit of even "needing" that, so I won't. My DIL smoked occasionally, her daughter smoked a lot (I think) and the DIL's mom smoked. Now when I'm around them, they have a "vape" close by, but will never pick up a cigarette again.
Keep up the good work, and keep posting! Hi to John (wink wink)LOL
Lou Nell

Back
Top Bottom