Retired in Alaska and chickens happened.

I will name him George

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
Hey, hi all. Wanted chickens for years, but was waiting til I retired. In April, an escaped dog killed my friend's carefully curated flock. My husband thought he was being clever and bought 10 hens for my birthday- to give to the slaughtered-hen neighbor to take care of and give us eggs (so I wouldn't need my own). Well, that's not the way it works, right? In the meantime, said neighbor decided to incubate the eggs on her counter, and the result was 14 chicks. I now have the crossbred chicks (13 weeks) and the neighbor is keeping my birthday flock. I also have a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (Duck Toller) that is very protective of this flock; they are his little babies. Photo is him stunned by the peeping chicks. This is gonna be an adventure, right?

Attachments

• P4271844.jpeg
    P4271844.jpeg
    495 KB · Views: 39
Hey, hi all. Wanted chickens for years, but was waiting til I retired. In April, an escaped dog killed my friend's carefully curated flock. My husband thought he was being clever and bought 10 hens for my birthday- to give to the slaughtered-hen neighbor to take care of and give us eggs (so I wouldn't need my own). Well, that's not the way it works, right? In the meantime, said neighbor decided to incubate the eggs on her counter, and the result was 14 chicks. I now have the crossbred chicks (13 weeks) and the neighbor is keeping my birthday flock. I also have a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (Duck Toller) that is very protective of this flock; they are his little babies. Photo is him stunned by the peeping chicks. This is gonna be an adventure, right?
Gorgeous dog. I love the breed. Are you sure he is being protective?
Or does he want to bring one to you the first chance he gets. Do you use him for hunting or is he your pet?

Gorgeous dog. I love the breed. Are you sure he is being protective?
Or does he want to bring one to you the first chance he gets. Do you use him for hunting or is he your pet?
Thanks! He spends all day watching over them and keeping ravens and eagles at bay. I worried about his prey drive but after teaching him we don't eat our family, he turned protective. We have two NSDTR's, female trained and active hunter and my boy, who hunts alongside but is mostly my buddy and now chicken shepard.

Thanks! He spends all day watching over them and keeping ravens and eagles at bay. I worried about his prey drive but after teaching him we don't eat our family, he turned protective. We have two NSDTR's, female trained and active hunter and my boy, who hunts alongside but is mostly my buddy and now chicken shepard.
Lovin it! Good for you. That is a great breed and a good one to train.
Smart as a whip and a nice soft bite. Kiss him on the nose for me. I love those dry nose kisses. Lol

Yes it is. Your doggie friend will either be one way of the other very protective and a really good flock protector like my one dog who is my own body guard and personal nurse. She is a 11!year old Miniature Schnauzer and she would not even allow some visiting hens from a neighbors flock come into our yard to visit our baby chicks. Or your furry friend could turn out to be like our other dog who is a Shichon who is two years old and a cross between a Bichon Frise and a Shitzu. She wants to get too close to them and get all up in their personal space and carry them around like a rag doll. We are very afraid of her being too close to them. Too AFRAID! Our coop and run is almost complete thank Goodness. Can’t wait to put them in it. I hope your pooch is well behaved like our older dog and doesn’t give you any issues with them. I know she will protect them and keep them safe. If anything gets in the yard she send up an alarm to let me know. She will help keep them safe. She will let me know if something happens to them. I can trust her with all of them. I try to relax around her being with them. You do the very same and I wish you the best with both of your animals. Both with shells and feathers, and eggs and fur.

Back
Top Bottom