Retired lurker, registered user

JSlip1

Hatching
Mar 22, 2016
Central PA
I've often engaged in some of the other resources on the site, but am looking to grow my flock and learn some more and that's best done in community.

We have a small flock (4 max) that was whittled down by a bear and another unknown assailant. So, basically, I'm here to hopefully find a couple more birds and also continue to learn how I can safeguard them down the road.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Please check out the predator threads. I'm not sure what will keep a bear out but, probably industrial strength electric fencing.

That's the plan if it happens again. Someone got a bear about a mile from us as the crow flies during hunting season and we never saw it again. I'm guessing they were one and the same, but there's always more bears. Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to the group! Sorry about your chicken loss to the bear. We have coyotes over here and occasionally neighborhood dogs that run loose. I had to really make my enclosure predator proof. I did not want to loose any of mine.

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

Joining your state thread will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area, which can be helpful (just type the name of your state in the search box) - you never know, they may be some bear experts there to help you!

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry for your losses...bears are a tough predator to be up against.

It's nice to have you join us.

Back
Top Bottom