Retractable Castor Wheels?

Kaedrian

In the Brooder
May 17, 2023
Hi! I've been working on making Justin Rhodes' chickshaw and was worried about racoons being able to reach through the 1 inch wire mesh on the bottom and pulling a chicken out (we had a racoon attack earlier this year). I was thinking of foregoing the 26" Marathon wheels entirely and putting the whole thing on the ground - those wheels are really expensive anyway. To make it mobile, I was thinking of attaching 2 or 4 retractable castor wheels so it could sit flat on the wood when the wheels aren't being in use.

I was wondering if anyone has used these wheels before and how they work. My concern is that even if they are heavy duty, will they move over uneven terrain like grass/gravel. The wheels look really small and are made to move over smooth concrete. The wheels in question are something like this : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DHHGX7...dda8f8b4ef8b2&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

Hi! I've been working on making Justin Rhodes' chickshaw and was worried about racoons being able to reach through the 1 inch wire mesh on the bottom and pulling a chicken out (we had a racoon attack earlier this year). I was thinking of foregoing the 26" Marathon wheels entirely and putting the whole thing on the ground - those wheels are really expensive anyway. To make it mobile, I was thinking of attaching 2 or 4 retractable castor wheels so it could sit flat on the wood when the wheels aren't being in use.

I was wondering if anyone has used these wheels before and how they work. My concern is that even if they are heavy duty, will they move over uneven terrain like grass/gravel. The wheels look really small and are made to move over smooth concrete. The wheels in question are something like this : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DHHGX7...dda8f8b4ef8b2&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
Have you ever seen a shopping cart when the wheel rusts and gets sticky? Now imagine trying to move sticky rusty wheels (not meant for outside), when it gets damp/wet.

I like the chickshaw idea better.

If you are good at making things you might wanna have go at making it like I made this Seabright coop. I wish I never gave it away. In the video I show the concept for a smaller version. 12ft x 3 ft. You could always add the 1x1 welded wire to the bottom. On the ground or teeter it and put blocks under. When ready to secure, take block out and set back on ground.

Have you ever seen a shopping cart when the wheel rusts and gets sticky? Now imagine trying to move sticky rusty wheels (not meant for outside), when it gets damp/wet.

I like the chickshaw idea better.

If you are good at making things you might wanna have go at making it like I made this Seabright coop. I wish I never gave it away. In the video I show the concept for a smaller version. 12ft x 3 ft. You could always add the 1x1 welded wire to the bottom. On the ground or teeter it and put blocks under. When ready to secure, take block out and set back on ground.
That is exactly the kind of contraption I'm looking for. Now, I just have to figure out how to build it. Any advice on that?

That depends on what you wanna build it with, metal or wood. Metal is easy if you can weld and it can be lighter. If you make it out of wood, use a good hard wood. Pre-drill and countersink EVERY hole. Glue and screw. You can use regular outdoor glue or 2P-10 fast acting. For the rear pivot point a 4x4 block or doubled up 2x6 will work. Use a good thick bolt. OR a thick axle. Kinda a waste to make it axle style but it will make it easier to support all the movement. Mine was welded through a 2x4 1/4" tubing so plenty support.

Of course finding the right levers, is the hard part. I used the heavier duty top rail from chain link fence. long 2x4 will work also. bolt a wheelbarrow handle to it. I will try and get my friend to snap some pix.

I would not use those type of casters for a coop, unless it's located on a concrete surface. A better wheel choice for a tractor coop are wheels on a lever, pneumatic tire and biggest diameter you can manage. If you image search "coop + wheels + lever" you'll see many examples

Back
Top Bottom