Retractable Fencing

UrbanHenHome

Hatching
Nov 25, 2020
New chicken mom here - I have four six week old hens (🤞🏽) living with my family on a 5,000 sq foot lot in Pacifica California. We successfully introduced them to our Pit Bull, who seems to think she’s their mother. Somehow I thought I would be able to train them to stay out of our garden 🤦🏽‍♀️. I’m looking for a 30’ retractable fence that I can use to keep them on the non-garden side of the yard. We’re pretty DIY and can take on a project but I really don’t want anything big or bulky or hard to operate. I found some driveway fences but they are only about 3 feet tall and I figure that’s not gonna be enough. My questions are: 1. How tall is tall enough? 2. Anyone know of a retractable fence or mechanism we can use to make our own?

Welcome to BYC!!
I don't fence in my garden because I don't want a tall fence. Chickens can fly up into a tree so your fence would need to be tall.
Another idea is to create tents for your vegetable garden out of chicken wire. Chicken wire is only good for keep chickens out or in.

Welcome to BYC!!
I don't fence in my garden because I don't want a tall fence. Chickens can fly up into a tree so your fence would need to be tall.
Another idea is to create tents for your vegetable garden out of chicken wire. Chicken wire is only good for keep chickens out or in.
Thanks for the idea. We are trying to avoid fencing the garden and we really only want temporary fencing that tucks away neatly when the chickens are in their run. Our space is small so we are hoping to keep it as open as possible. Just want to keep them out of the garden when they’re not being supervised by anyone other than the dog (who will keep the predators away).

Back
Top Bottom