1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Return to egg laying after an injury?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by homeschoolmama, Nov 6, 2009.

1. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Flagstaff, AZ
    It's been 4 weeks since my dog ripped a rather large flap of skin (approx 1"x3") off the back of the neck from one of my 8 month old GLW. She was "hospitalized" in my gargae for nearly 3 weeks and is now back with the other girls and seems to be back to her regular bossy self and happy to be there. She just looks kinda funny w/ missing neck feathers where the injury was and where I trimmed back to keep feathers out of her wound. My question-when do you think she will start laying again? She laid one egg the day after the injury and none since.
    Thanks

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'm sure with the trauma and stress it will take her acouple months to start laying again. Her body is using all it's energy to heal and not produce eggs.

3. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    I am haveing the same issue with my BR. She fell from a loose roost about a month ago and bummed her leg real good.She still isn't walking on it very well, she kinda goose-steps. She laid one egg and I haven't seen another since. I hope she will pick back up soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by