Returning from Vermont

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by naadarien, Feb 10, 2013.

1. naadarien

naadarien Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Central Vermont
    My Coop
    Hi. I joined BYC previously a few years back, but my husband steadfastly refused to have chickens then. Loved the site, but couldn't use the info at the time.

Now though, our diet has changed drastically (Paleo mostly). We eat a tons of eggs each week and I have finally convinced him that it makes sense to have our own laying hens (and maybe later, meat birds).

So I am back to find out as much as I can over the next few months before we buy some chicks and contribute whatever I learn along the way.

We have sugar shack on the property, but we don't use it for making maple syrup (though we do do a small amount of sugaring, 1-2 gallons a year for personal use). So that is likely what we will convert into a house for the chickens. It has electricity in it and some fencing around it that can easily be expanded and modified for this purpose.

My MIL/FIL have both raised chickens since they were little kids and have a wealth of knowledge, but it is always nice to hear other perspectives.

TIA for any assistance you all can provide. [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us. It's funny, sugar shack means something totally different in my part of the country! [​IMG] Anyway, you have come to the right place to get off to a good start. Here are a few useful links:

For general chicken keeping info:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

For info on coop and run design:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

To connect with some locals in your area:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/39326/vermont

Best of luck and have fun!!

4 people like this.
  3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. naadarien

Feb 10, 2013
    Central Vermont
    My Coop
    Thanks for the links, Redsoxs. They were helpful.

Yes, I can imagine that in the old days, that sugar shack pulled double duty depending on the time of the year. [​IMG]

I do have a question. Is there a place for layouts/designs of coops? I see lots of individual coops and pics, but not many layouts. I was kind of looking for the "why" a coop was laid out the way it was, what worked/what didn't, if someone would do over their coop they would include/exclude x, should brooders be near the door or the farthest away, best placement for nests, designs that include compost piles (does it matter what side of the building that should be on; not just for curb appeal, but handling odors, access to sun, etc)...that kind of stuff. Since I have a basic structure already built, I am looking for the best use of my space and help with the design.

Any points in the right direction would be great.

Thanks so much!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  6. Caitlin_VT

Caitlin_VT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Vermont
    Welcome! I'm also a fellow Vermonter [​IMG]

7. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!! I love your avatar!

1 person likes this.
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Great links! [​IMG]

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

10. naadarien

Feb 10, 2013
    Central Vermont
    My Coop
    Hi Caitlin. I am in the Northeast Kingdom, about half way between St Johnsbury and Barre/Montpelier. Loving the fresh foot or so of snow we just got. [​IMG]

Yvonne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by