reusing needles???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by snowflake, Oct 10, 2012.

1. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I am giving 3 of my birds penicillin, I have some infections I believe due to stinging nettle,one has a swollen and now blackend ear lobe the other s have swollen feet and rough skin ontop of their feet, andy how my question is does any one know if I can reuse the needles on thees birds after bleaching them???I have used a clean needle for each bird as I did not want to insert dirty needle into penicillin bottle if I use new needle for each bird for 4 days that is a lot of needles, ....OK will do if bleach is not a good idea

2. HudokFarm

HudokFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Minnesota
    I have had to re-use needles in a pinch for my chickens and horses. I just boiled them for 5 minutes as close to the time I needed them as possible since I had no sterile environment in which to store them.

3. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    They say to just clean the needles with water. Bleach and alcohol leave a residue that harms the drug.

4. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    Thank you for you quick response, I have already bleached them so maybe I will boil them to clean off the bleach
    they should be real clean and germ free

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by