Reverse Bumblefoot?

Dirty Dozen

Songster
10 Years
May 30, 2009
Long Island, New York
For all of you out there that have dealt with bumblefoot I've found a new nuisance!
I had a couple of big breed hens with bumps on top of their feet & holes on top of bumps. After a lot of picking, I found that if you look UNDER the foot you fill find large crusts of what looks like dirt. If you pick them off you will find that fecal material entered it's way THROUGH the foot until it got to the top! If not too big you can pull fecal plug out bottom. If not, soak and play with it for a couple of days. It took me 3 days to get it from my Brahma. She hates me now. Pack hole with antibiotics & hope for best. Not bumblefoot with cheesy stuff just poop & dirt! Just FYI! :)

Yeah, I noticed it awhile ago with my orpington that had it. After awhile I noticed a pointy thing coming out of top (a thorn that came in through the bottom?) I looked underneath & found three big scabby things looked like dirt. I pulled off 3 and when I pulled off the 3rd the whole piece, with the thorn came out the bottom! She had a perfect, clean hole like she had been pierced through the toe webbing! Then I noticed a big bump on my brahma (big breeds) on top of foot. Same thing but not thorn just a big fecal plug bigger than a pea and you get it out from the bottom. Hardly noticeable because of folds in bottom of foot.
I once had a hen with bumblefoot UNDER foot with abscess stuff. This was different. Now I keep an eye on my big birds.
Live & learn!

Back
Top Bottom