Review--Sandhill Preservation Farmyard Special

Redtractorranch

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
San Martin, CA
I know everyone is interested in what comes out of a "surprise" box. I ordered one from Sandhill for shipment on May 5, 2009. This order was placed (along with a reg. chick order) in Oct. 2008, since my reg. chick order consisted of some rare breeds that are always sold out.

The hatchery cashed my check in Oct. '08 and then I waited for the chicks. They did not wait to cash the check once they had shipped. I heard nothing else from the hatchery until I got a phone call at 8 pm California time that my on May 6 that my order shipped. May 7 I picked up my order from the PO.

The chicks were healthy and lively at the PO. No losses when picked up.

Included in the Farmyard special were:

Turkeys--3 Chocolate
Bantam--3 Black Cochin
1 Red Cochin
10 Light Brahma
Standard-8 Red pyle cubalaya
-4 Blue Jersey Giant
-4 buttercup
I lost 2 brahmas within the first week, but have not lost any others since. I did have 1 buttercup with 2 slipped tendons.

The cubalayas are not all red pyle. Only 3 of the 6 seem to be developing that color pattern. The others seem to be BBR. The chocolate turkeys are not a uniform color of chocolate and have white tips to the feathers and some black smudging. I haven't raised this color before, so I don't know if this is normal and when they moult the color will come in more solid. The buttercups were a mixed bag, but one cockerel seems to have a very, very nice comb developing. Another buttercup's comb is very irregular and not even close to meeting in the back.

The one thing I did notice is that for straight run, I got a lot of roosters. Instead of a 50/50 split, it looks like I have more like 70/30 rooster to hen.

All in all I am not disappointed, though between this one and the Cackle surprise I ordered last year, I would pick the Cackle. I gave a list of what I got in the Cackle surprise in the cackle thread.

I ordered from sandhill, and I was very happy to. Mines are still to young to tell hens from roosters. You thing maybe why you get so many rooster is because there incubators temps are set to high ? I know my incubator came with a warning saying if you get to all roos or more than 1/2 roos try turning your temp down a couple degress. Just a thought
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom