Reviews of this Protection Device are all over the map. Does “ Night Guard” really work?

I'm rural and have a yard light that goes on at dusk and off at dawn. The predators still roam even with the light. This is where are yard light is. The bright looking light in the background is another camera.
IMAG000401013 03.jpg

This is the other camera's view. Which is on the pole that has the yard light.
DSCF0008125 03.jpg

If the product is "Nite Guard".......then this from their website on how it works.....

https://www.niteguard.com/how-it-works/

Scroll down till you get to the part about how light reflects off a predator's eyes as a means of enhancing their night vision. So eyes don't glow.....like a demon possessed......eyes only reflect light. So if that is the premise, unless a varmint or predator carries around a flashlight as a source of reflected light, they have never seen red eyes (light reflected back at them from a predator's eyes) in their normal environment. So the premise seems far fetched. Furthermore, with their excellent night vision, they don't need to see the eyes as we do.......they can seen the entire animal just fine...even in the dark.

Having said that, I have a older model Bushnell game camera that uses a visible red light as the light source for photos taken after dark. Animals are aware of it as they look right at the camera and are clearly trying to figure out what it is, and they do seem nervous. But I've also noticed that most animals seem to be aware of the light from all game cameras, and over time, learn to ignore them.

I got these off Amazon. One broke immediately, but the other one is still rockin'. Same idea but with noise (I'm thinking the Nite Guard didn't have noise but could be wrong).

You can program them to beep and flash, or just flash, day or night. The beeping is loud enough it wakes the dogs, so if it doesn't scare a predator, at least it gets us up to look out the window. There are motion sensor lights all over the yard that would help us quickly identify a threat.

https://www.amazon.com/Security-Waterproof-Flashing-Battery-Warning/dp/B07W9KLXRB/

At least we hope that's what'd happen. Our coops are inside bear-strength electric, wrapped in heavy-gauge hardware cloth with either a 12" apron or wire flooring, have keyed locks, etc. so this alarm is one of the last defenses.

I think electric fencing is worth the cost. One evening a small bee swarm took up shop in the fence's electric panel too late for me to capture it, so I left the fence off overnight. The next morning, coop keys had been removed from 2 separate hidey hooks and carried across the yard! And they say raccoons don't know how to use keys.

Anyway, that has never happened before or since with the fence on. They know what's up.

If it makes a noise that may help. When we had a hurricane (Irma) a few years ago, We were without power for a week. I put a battery operated radio in the barn behind the coops and put it on a talk radio station. I was lucky and had no intrusions. Hopefully the predators heard the voices and stayed away.
DSCF0001CoopBarn 01.jpg

If it makes a noise that may help. When we had a hurricane (Irma) a few years ago, We were without power for a week. I put a battery operated radio in the barn behind the coops and put it on a talk radio station. I was lucky and had no intrusions. Hopefully the predators heard the voices and stayed away.
That's good! I used a shower radio (waterproof) at night to keep raccoons off our tomatoes one year, and it worked great.

The night after posting here, the dogs got us up at 3 and 5 a.m. to see all the motion-sensor lights going off in the chicken yard. A small rat was bouncing around, picking up stray feed. Sigh. We're deploying a multi-pronged strategy against those now, but the motion-sensor alarm apparently did what we hoped in this case.

Back
Top Bottom