Reviews of this Protection Device are all over the map. Does “ Night Guard” really work?

After a mink wiped out three of four hens in one of my coops, I bought four Nite Guards and haven't had a problem in the last few years. I once posted about my success, and another BYC member -- whose opinion I generally respect -- essentially suggested I was way off base when I recommended the Nite Guards to another member.

All I know is my own experience. No problems since I installed them. Maybe they don't work for everyone, but they seem to work for me. I haven't had problems with raccoons though there are plenty around, either before or after I installed them.

Good luck with finding a solution to your situation. Let us know what you come up with.

You'll probably get a 50/50 split on opinions here as well.
I bought a set when I was new to chicken keeping. I also have cameras on my runs.
I literally watched a raccoon walk right past one. I also watched a possum walk right up to one and sniff it.
Your best bet is a secure coop and run. I highly recommend electric fencing. It may be a big expense at first, but is priceless in the long run.

I have never tried them but did put up some motion lights and the predators got used to them and ignored them. I put electric wires around my coops and pens, good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens and concrete under the gates. Predators don't mess with the electric wires so they haven't messed with my birds. I would trap and eliminate. They aren't endangered. Good luck...

If the reviews are all over the place it is a sign of a product with some fake reviews being posted. You will have outliers, crazy people, sometimes just too stupid to use the product according to directions, sometimes just azzholes upset about their lives so they post a negative review. But if it is over 5%, look out. A product ought to have reviews that group at one end of the range or the other, so if they are all over the place you likely have a company using the paid review companies that send emails to businesses all the time. Cheap to do, a few bucks or less if you buy them in quantity. Some are third world companies grinding out dozens of reviews per day per worker. On others the review company advertises for consumers, they set up the deal, the customer buys the product, and in exchange for their money back they place a glowing review.

As for a light deterring predators, not likely gonna work. Lots of people have yard lights in the country and city so the critters just get used to the artificial lights. Best to just invest in a sold coop with hardware cloth stapled over the outside and if you re in bear country go ahead and invest in the electric fencing. Not chicken wire by itself, maybe over welded wire fencing, and if you have coons visiting watch how you latch the door as coons are very intelligent and can easily figure out most latches. A lock is the safest.

I want to try the devices in a location with very heavy nightly raccoon traffic, like 30 individuals in a night that is very easy to photograph. A farmer, actually several, have raccoons, mink, and river otters, plus other critters stealing fish and crayfish from raceways. Losses for some farmers appears to be a couple hundred dollars per night (low estimate I suspect). I am skeptical of claims both ways.

Thanks everyone - from everything I’ve read today - here & elsewhere - Electric fence seems to be the “ Best” deterrent, Bar None
Best Regards
Craig
You gotta keep the weeds down or purchase a high amperage unit that will help with the occasional tall weed and use good copper ground rods. In very dry weather it is good to keep those ground rods soaked and it doesn't hurt to keep the fence line from getting too dry to conduct the voltage. Better, use the two wire system so you aren't dependent upon actual grounding. The good thing is once the local critters learn about the fence they are far less likely to ever try it again.

I keep the ground under my electric wires weed free. I have pictures of the predators such as coyotes and fox but they know the wire is hot and don't touch it. I think the mothers teach their young not to mess with the wires.

I've used the Nite Gaurd since I built my coop...I have not had any problems at all with predators. That said, its hard to prove a negative! Things might have been just fine without them too, I don't know. But they were relatively inexpensive, I figured why not?

I also have heard a theory that they work better in rural areas, because there are so many lights of all colors in an urban area that predators get used to them. Sounds logical, but who knows?

Back
Top Bottom