1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

revisiting the upside down tomato planter-results

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BBK, Sep 26, 2009.

1. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    Ours was doing well, i had put in a sweet 100 and a regular plant in the one planter. Both were growing well, and then it hit...the tomatoe blith. It killed my regular tom plant but not my 100's...but as the end of August approached, it finally die. We got a bunch of the little toms.

So, will we do it agian next yr?....sure we'll try it again. I don't think it was any better than growing them in the ground tho.

Any one else?
    melinda

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    It seems no one ever gets it to go better in those things. Here I have a raised bed, but I've also had great crops out of 5 Gal buckets, 1 tomato per bucket.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:My tomatoes in buckets grew great - if I watered them every day. The bucket dries out SO much faster than the actual ground does.

Thanks for posting about the upside down thing, cos I was curious. Guess I'll just keep doing it the regular old way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by