Rex Rabbits!

pintail_drake2004

Songster
6 Years
Jun 12, 2017
IL
I come from a long line of rabbit breeders. My father and grandpa had 500 breeding does, on top of their mink and chinchillas. I'm not as large scale. I have about 40-50 at any given time. I breed New Zealand Whites and standard Rex. I breed for meat, fur, and fertilizer! But mostly, I breed for perfection!

I breed many colors of standard Rex: Castor, white, black, opal, lilac, etc. but my pride and joy are my standard black otters
20210102_131635.jpg
20210102_131517.jpg
20210102_131321.jpg
20210102_131237.jpg
20210102_131150.jpg

They are gorgeous! Do you have any pictures of your New Zealand’s? I’ve been wanting to start breeding them, if you have any tips I’d love to hear!

start with the best quality breeding stock you can afford, and I live by the motto "breed the best and cull the rest." I breed for large litters that grow quickly. I don't care what anybody says, most folks at their home farm will not get a New Zealand to hit butcher weight of 5 lb at 8 weeks unless there are strictly controlled lab-like conditions. I have bred from stock with quality genetics, and have attained letters that reach butcher weight at 9 weeks. line breeding is okay with rabbits, but you need to put new blood in the mix ever so often

start with the best quality breeding stock you can afford, and I live by the motto "breed the best and cull the rest." I breed for large litters that grow quickly. I don't care what anybody says, most folks at their home farm will not get a New Zealand to hit butcher weight of 5 lb at 8 weeks unless there are strictly controlled lab-like conditions. I have bred from stock with quality genetics, and have attained letters that reach butcher weight at 9 weeks. line breeding is okay with rabbits, but you need to put new blood in the mix ever so often
Thank you so much!
Do you only breed the whites?

Gorgeous rabbits!! Rex are my favorites - how can you not love that fur!

I'm so glad to hear you breed for large litters in the NZ. Too many show breeders actively breed for small litters, with the idea that small litters = more milk = "making weight". When I went looking for NZ because my kids wanted to get back into rabbits and do some showing, I literally could not find any that came from a litter of more than 5. It made me crazy.

Back
Top Bottom