Rhea vs. Emu

[Rest day]

Definitely lost a couple of posts:L

Eric Plus here.

Felicity has been here with the same bird for several days running. She has does this before – that is, bring home a ‘consort’ who doesn’t stick. But there’s definitely a big shy bird with her.

S.E.

Calla and E.S.,

here is the reply that got lost:

Great answer! Thank you! How interesting that you both mentioned that they remain curious while travelling. You guys really do seem to have the matter in hand.

Supreme Emu

E.S.,

how do you generally transport birds? This intrigues me. I think of them bound hand and foot, with a sock on their head, being whizzed along highways to their new homes. I read of people utilising horse floats. For me, close contact with the birds -- apart from petting Greedy and Felicity as they feed -- is non-existent!

Supreme Emu
I transport ostriches in an open livestock trailer. I would not have them bound, although its a funny mental image, and no sock. They have to "pant" to cool off and the sock prevents this. I have yet to transport any adult emu's, but I would do it the same way as an ostrich. You can fit a pretty big bird in a 2 horse trailer, they sit most of the time when traveling.

Back
Top Bottom