Rhea with sack of liquid on neck

Sorry, I was asking about the crop...soft and squishy usually means a yeast infection, hard and stiff be an impaction and sometimes if the crop pliable like putty, it's a different type of yeast.

If she were a chicken, I'd suggest some Acidified Copper Sulfate to kill the yeast infection. But I'm not sure if this is the proper treatment for Rheas. So until someone else chimes in, you might get her on some probiotics to help reduce the bad bacteria and yeast in her crop. Human probiotics are fine to use, about 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Yogurt can help her too, a couple tablespoonfuls a day of plain unsweetened. No free ranging on stiff vegetation, having to grind up food in the Gizzard will slow the crop further. Keep her on a good poultry diet, no sweet berries or fruits until her crop moves normally. Lots of water. Protein foods like scrambled eggs won't feed the yeast, so those are ok too.
Yes, squishy crop.

I can get the probiotics going and pickup some non-sweet yogurt and try some heavy protein foods like scrambled eggs.

Is it best to start with the liquids and foods or should I try to get the crop to empty or something and start her on liquids and food tomorrow to see if she has flushed what's in her crop out of her system?

Yes, squishy crop.

I can get the probiotics going and pickup some non-sweet yogurt and try some heavy protein foods like scrambled eggs.

Is it best to start with the liquids and foods or should I try to get the crop to empty or something and start her on liquids and food tomorrow to see if she has flushed what's in her crop out of her system?
I've vomited chickens, not sure you can with Rheas? Vomiting can be dangerous if they inhale the fluids.

She needs food and water, so it doesn't matter which you get her to indulge in first but make sure any food is very easy to break down and digest.

Hopefully one of the members I tagged stops by tonight, I will keep checking.

Keep her warm too, cold birds don't heal well.

I've vomited chickens, not sure you can with Rheas? Vomiting can be dangerous if they inhale the fluids.

She needs food and water, so it doesn't matter which you get her to indulge in first but make sure any food is very easy to break down and digest.

Hopefully one of the members I tagged stops by tonight, I will keep checking.

Keep her warm too, cold birds don't heal well.

Much appreciated on the quick responses, it is much appreciated

I am sorry your girl isn't feeling well. I have no experience at all since I just hatched 3 emu a few weeks ago. Hopefully a member who has raised them can help.

I would post pictures though so they can see what you are actually seeing if possible.

Hope you can get her feeling better!

@shamorunner How is she today? Do you possibly have a vet that can see her?
Sadly no vet to see her. I have Indy 90min away but they don't have experience. University of Illinois is next but 2.5h away she is better and her crop was smaller yesterday, I was also able to get 2 eggs blended with unsweet yogurt and water.

She is doing better and was walking around yesterday. Hopefully she'll be fine when I get home and get more nutrients into her.

I wish there were vets that would see her but spent about two hours calling all around Indiana and Illinois. Glad for online sources, especially the forums here which have been helpful over the years.

Sadly no vet to see her. I have Indy 90min away but they don't have experience. University of Illinois is next but 2.5h away she is better and her crop was smaller yesterday, I was also able to get 2 eggs blended with unsweet yogurt and water.

She is doing better and was walking around yesterday. Hopefully she'll be fine when I get home and get more nutrients into her.

I wish there were vets that would see her but spent about two hours calling all around Indiana and Illinois. Glad for online sources, especially the forums here which have been helpful over the years.
I think if you keep up with the probiotics daily for a while, feed her very basic foods and greens, (low carb, no fruits,) I think over time she can heal herself. Keep us posted on her! ❤

I think if you keep up with the probiotics daily for a while, feed her very basic foods and greens, (low carb, no fruits,) I think over time she can heal herself. Keep us posted on her! ❤
As of today she had plenty of energy and was running around and eating without being forced. Her crop is between a quarter and a fifth of where it has been the past two days. Keeping her under the same procedures the next several days to a week to make sure she is fully recovered

She has regressed a few days, not as bad as she was initially. I wasn't able to feed her by syringe and was only able to put feed out her of eggs, yogurt, some of her base feed, and still no apples. Today I was able to get her plenty of food by syringe and will probably do so before bed. Her crop is not the same as before but her energy levels are down.

Will keep updated

Back
Top Bottom